Sign in to follow this  

Landlords and bond back?

I've searched the forum for similar posts and found the info useful, but it's feedback from people that I'm after.

I began and signed for a privately rented tenancy in Sept 07, paid £300 cash/£300 cheque and it is all signed for by the landlord on the tenancy agreement. Subsequent rent was paid by direct debit each month.

Recently, I wrote my 1mth's notice and moved (cleaning the place absolutely top to bottom, and the landlord even said so, and i was a good tenant, he said), arranging to meet the landlord at the old place yesterday. He arrived on time but "forgot his chequebook"!!!

Hmmm. He agreed he owed me money, but it's the amount that I'm suspicious of.

He said he owed me from the 18th Aug 09 (date last payment went from my bank) to yesterday, whereas I think, after scanning that tenancy agreement) he owes me for that £300 (initially paid bond or rent up front) plus the 10 or so days from the last payment to date??

Who is correct, and can the Citizen's advice help efficiently?

I think it looks like he is trying to wriggle of giving back what he owes you?

If my maths is right, you are indeed owed half of that initial £600 (ie. £300 bond?) and the balance from last payment made to the next due date (ie. if rent was paid on 10th each month and you left 29th, you are owed from 29th to the 10th, the remainder of what you have paid for but not lived in?)

My landloard gave us our bond back even though were still living in the house, apparently there's a new law that states that they have to do this and i don't think they're allowed to take a bond anymore due to recent legislation

My landloard gave us our bond back even though were still living in the house, apparently there's a new law that states that they have to do this and i don't think they're allowed to take a bond anymore due to recent legislation

Yes, but OP moved in before the start date of the new law.

Go to the CAB or have look at http://www.adviceguide.org

Thanks fellas, I don't know how it'll work out, but I think CAB are my next option?