Has anyone tried Eight Ounce Coffee on Glossop Road?

ishaq

I've been to eight ounce a few times now. initially, i thought the place looked promising after looking through all the facebook stuff. I can safely say that all of my visits have been poor regardless of who served me.

I work as a full time barista myself in a very busy coffee shop, so maybe i'm a little more tough to please than most. first things first - when a customer either walks into my shop or leaves my shop, I say hello or thank you and goodbye without fail. i got none of that.

secondly - the time spent waiting for coffee is unacceptable. Today I ordered 25 minutes before my coffee arrived at my table. Yes i went there during lunch time, but isn't that the time that you focus on speed and efficiency?

thirdly (briefly) - the guy in the queue asked what the difference between an americano and a long black was. He was told that they are basically the same, but a long black has 2 shots and an americano only has one. They are actually 2 very different drinks. I know i'm being fussy, but if you intend to put them on your menu board, then you should get it right yes?

fourthly - the time before last that i went, the same song was on loop for the duration and it wasn't even a good song.

fifthly - they seem to pride themselves on their in house roasted beans, but they didn't have any on sale (an oversight maybe)

sixthly - (i don't even know if that's a word, but i'm going with it) the coffee quality was POOR!! every visit I had. lets take today as an example. My long black (after 25 mins wait) had NO visible crema apart from a dark ash colour round the edge of the cup. after a smell and a sip, it's blatantly over extracted. to me, that's a massive mistake. I would not have served that cup. Anyone not being so geeky about coffee would have simply said that it tasted burnt. My mum had a latte. bubbly, re-used milk. gross. just don't re-steam milk. gross. to add to that, it was luke warm. some people would say that you're not supposed to heat milk too much to avoid losing the sweetness and i would agree, but this was beyond that.

I really am sorry to have a massive rant like this and I understand that it must make me look like a grumpy idiot, but coffee is something that i obsess about and it frustrates me when it's not treat with care and attention to detail.

i get excited when a new coffee shop opens in my area and this is why i was so disappointed. If you would bear in mind that we have coffee shops such as tamper and bragazzis in sheffield, any new coffee shops better up their game a little bit.

I am genuinely sorry for the rant and i would encourage other people to make their own minds up about this place. i just needed to get it off my chest. job done.

You can make great coffee at home for about 15pence using top ground beans,so why go out and spend a load of dosh on a duff cup.Its not like the cafes are packed with interesting people like Paris or Buenos Aires,just a few students and posers who think Nice is a biscuit.

it is a type of biscuit :suspect:

you're quite right - if you grab yourself a moka pot, a french press or some sort of good drip coffee maker, you can get a good cup. If you want a one shot skinny (don't EVER use the word skinny around me) dry cappuccino with sugar free hazlenut, then you're going to have to venture out.

truth is, you can make a great cup, but you can't make espresso at home without spending a fair bit of cash (+£1000) and it's true espresso which forms the basis of most drinks to which people have become accustomed.

so in short, make a cup at home, go out for coffee, but do your research like the original person who started this thread and find somewhere with the knowledge, care, attention to detail and equipment to make it worthwhile

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I'm Sam who works at Eight Ounce. I have to say reading your comments came as a bit of a knock to me and I'd like to apologise and address the issues you had with your visits.

I work as a full time barista myself in a very busy coffee shop, so maybe i'm a little more tough to please than most. first things first - when a customer either walks into my shop or leaves my shop, I say hello or thank you and goodbye without fail. i got none of that.

I always try to say hello and thank you to customers, I'm sorry if I missed you. However, from what I remember we did make time to have a couple of fairly lengthy discussions and chats with you about coffee and work so I wouldn't like you to think that we were being rude.

secondly - the time spent waiting for coffee is unacceptable. Today I ordered 25 minutes before my coffee arrived at my table. Yes i went there during lunch time, but isn't that the time that you focus on speed and efficiency?

This is unacceptable, I completely agree. I'm not gonna make excuses. What I will say is that we have greatly improved our efficiency. We're currently looking at taking on another member of staff to help over lunchtime. We used to be able to cope fine with two people but it's just gotten busier!

thirdly (briefly) - the guy in the queue asked what the difference between an americano and a long black was. He was told that they are basically the same, but a long black has 2 shots and an americano only has one. They are actually 2 very different drinks. I know i'm being fussy, but if you intend to put them on your menu board, then you should get it right yes?

Whilst I know this wasn't an accurate description of the differences to say they are essentially or basically the same is true... I just didn't put it across eloquently.

fourthly - the time before last that i went, the same song was on loop for the duration and it wasn't even a good song.

This was my dad misunderstanding the loop function on the CD player. Personally I think it's quite funny... but could understand how it would be annoying. Sorry!

fifthly - they seem to pride themselves on their in house roasted beans, but they didn't have any on sale (an oversight maybe)

We did (and still do) have them for sale but we understand that signage and information hasn't been one of our strong points. We're currently in the process of changing all of our signage and boards to be more consistent and clear so hopefully that will clear that up.

sixthly - (i don't even know if that's a word, but i'm going with it) the coffee quality was POOR!! every visit I had. lets take today as an example. My long black (after 25 mins wait) had NO visible crema apart from a dark ash colour round the edge of the cup. after a smell and a sip, it's blatantly over extracted. to me, that's a massive mistake. I would not have served that cup. Anyone not being so geeky about coffee would have simply said that it tasted burnt. My mum had a latte. bubbly, re-used milk. gross. just don't re-steam milk. gross. to add to that, it was luke warm. some people would say that you're not supposed to heat milk too much to avoid losing the sweetness and i would agree, but this was beyond that.

I disagree that our coffee quality is poor. We take pride in the quality of our coffee, the same way you do, and I'm really sorry if I dropped the ball and served you a bad cup. We don't reuse milk, but I'm sorry if the latte wasn't hot enough.

If you had told us there and then I would have happily remade your drinks, and I'm really sorry they went out like that in the first place.

I really am sorry to have a massive rant like this and I understand that it must make me look like a grumpy idiot, but coffee is something that i obsess about and it frustrates me when it's not treat with care and attention to detail.

i get excited when a new coffee shop opens in my area and this is why i was so disappointed. If you would bear in mind that we have coffee shops such as tamper and bragazzis in sheffield, any new coffee shops better up their game a little bit.

I am genuinely sorry for the rant and i would encourage other people to make their own minds up about this place. i just needed to get it off my chest. job done.

I'd urge other people reading this to consider that what they've read here is not representative of the comments we receive from our customers on a daily basis. I'm going to put my hands up and say I dropped the ball. There have been a couple of times where being busier than expected have caused me to fall apart. But as we have become more consistently busy over the last couple of months we are all coping better with it, we have employed a new member of staff and are looking at the plausibility of another, we are better prepared and we have upped our game. We're not even a year old yet, this business is still in it's infancy; but we have learnt a lot about our location and our environment and continue to refine and improve ourselves.

Fandango1, I can't remember your name, but I do remember you. I'd really appreciate it if you came back and gave us another chance to prove to you what I've said.

Sam

Hello,

Has anyone tried eight ounce (rialto) espresso/coffee bar on glossop road (sheffield) , i plan to go there later this week, and would appreciate if anyone could give feedback prior to my visit.

Just go in and buy a cup of Coffee, could anyone give me feedback on the litter bin outside T.J.Hughes? as I plan to throw a bus ticket in on Friday.

Edited by lazarus

Hi Sam,

I guess I owe you an apology for such a horrible write up. i am sorry.

it's just that I came home disappointed and felt that i had to get it off my chest, but i should know more than most that posting crap on a public forum.

I know full well that I should have spoken to someone if I had any issues.

I hope I did make it clear though, that others should make their own minds up and that I was having a little rant.

sorry again.

Hi Sam,

I guess I owe you an apology for such a horrible write up. i am sorry.

it's just that I came home disappointed and felt that i had to get it off my chest, but i should know more than most that posting crap on a public forum.

I know full well that I should have spoken to someone if I had any issues.

I hope I did make it clear though, that others should make their own minds up and that I was having a little rant.

sorry again.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed! That's not fair on you. It would be great to see you in the shop again sometime soon so we can make this right for you.

Has this been taken over recently? I've been in a few times over the last year and tend to order the goat's cheese panini which is just gorgeous, but last time I came there were different people serving and when I ordered a panini (usually on panini bread and warm), I got a cold goat's cheese sandwich, which was very lovely, but when I told the guy I'd ordered a panini, he just shrugged as if to say "that's what you got".