Santander harassment .. Advice please

I am getting seriously annoyed!!

Bit of background, my partner was made unemployed in June of last year.

He had a credit card with Santander which obviously he was struggling to make payments on. He kept in touch with them about his situation and made payments (reduced) when he was able to.

He got a new job (hooray!) in December and contacted them to arrange a payment schedule to clear the arrears and start to pay off the balance.

He advised that he would pay £25 per week, this on a 4 week basis is more that the minimum monthly payment.

Since December they have called us daily, sometimes 3 times, to try to 'arrange' a payment plan!!

On each occasion we have told them about the arrangement in place and asked on what basis they are calling. We are told that there are no notes on the case to suggest that we have agreed this plan.

Each advisor promises to put the notes on the account, obviously they don't..

My partner authorised me to speak to them on Sunday and I advise that if the constant calls do not stop I will report them to the ombudsman.

The girl was very apologetic and stated that we would receive no further calls.

Guess what?? Two yesterday and one today already!!

My partner was not in this morning and I blew up at the guy in the phone, he said that I could report them to who I liked because it would make no difference!!

Is that the case?

We are really trying to sort out our finances and have cooperated with them at every request, we don't deny he owes the money and are making payments on time and more than we need to.

The constant harassment is starting to get us both down

Help:help:

Edited by dizzybird77
Spelling

Look at the Financial Ombudsman Service, particularly their how to complain page and the what's the best way of making sure my complaint is taken seriously? FAQ entry. It looks like you have to officially complain to the company first to give them chance to sort it out so...

Santander have a complaints page so that should be your first port of call so you can make a complaint online. Don't forget to put in details of you repayment arrangements you agreed with them.

Next time they phone ask for the name of the person you are speaking to and tell them you have a formal complaint outstanding about the calls and that their name will be added to the list of people who have contacted you. That should give them an incentive to stop further calls.

Look at the Financial Ombudsman Service, particularly their how to complain page and the what's the best way of making sure my complaint is taken seriously? FAQ entry. It looks like you have to officially complain to the company first to give them chance to sort it out so...

Santander have a complaints page so that should be your first port of call so you can make a complaint online. Don't forget to put in details of you repayment arrangements you agreed with them.

Next time they phone ask for the name of the person you are speaking to and tell them you have a formal complaint outstanding about the calls and that their name will be added to the list of people who have contacted you. That should give them an incentive to stop further calls.

The above is really good advice.........I can add nothing further.:)

Try sending them this (from the genius behind http://www.all-about-debt.co.uk)

Dear Sirs

Account No/Reference No: XXXXXXXX

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing. I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls and I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only. I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

I ought to draw your attention to the recent Harrison v Link Financial case in which HH Judge Chambers outlined the predatory way in which the account holder was hounded; I quote, from this judgment;

Cumulatively and damningly is what I find to be the way that MBNA and the Defendant went about recovering their debt. I am satisfied that the Claimant’s description of the way that he was hounded by his creditors is essentially correct not least in the use of “non-traceable” telephone calls. It seems to me that such conduct has no proper function in the recovery of consumer debt.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you may be liable to a substantial fine and/or other sanctions as they see fit. Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company may be recorded and used in evidence and I expect this harassment to cease immediately.

Yours faithfully,

Sign Digitally with your name here

worked for me.

Edited by Phanerothyme