What do you cook on a BBQ?

Apart from the usual burgers and sausage what else do you do?

We have kept having the same boring stuff all the time but I want something new. We tend to do burgers, sausages, ribs and sweetcorn and that's about it! I don't like cooking chicken on a bbq because I don't trust it.

So what do you put on your BBQ?

Banana's are always a winner and there is nothing better than fish when its been BBQ'd. Chops are good and roasting peppers and onions is great. If you're organised enough to keep a part of the grill meat free pineapple is a wonder

Apart from the usual burgers and sausage what else do you do?

We have kept having the same boring stuff all the time but I want something new. We tend to do burgers, sausages, ribs and sweetcorn and that's about it! I don't like cooking chicken on a bbq because I don't trust it.

So what do you put on your BBQ?

part cook your chicken in the oven then just finish it off on the bbq. Them cheap turkey joints go nice on a bbq. Fish only takes minutes on the bbq.

part cook your chicken in the oven then just finish it off on the bbq. Them cheap turkey joints go nice on a bbq. Fish only takes minutes on the bbq.

I know but BBQ night is my night off from cooking so I don't want to have to cook the chicken first :D

What kind of fish would you BBQ?

What kind of fish would you BBQ?
Pretty much anything is fair game and will work to one degree or another. But obviously meaty steaky type fish is best, tuna, shark etc are really good. Oily fish like mackeral and sardines work fantastically but if you want to do something that flakes like whitfish or salmon then really need to use the whole fish or it breaks up

Do you wrap the fish up in foil?

Do you wrap the fish up in foil?
Salmon and flaky fish you can, but bear in mind if you do that you're not really barbecuing it you're steaming it.

You can also get a fish grill which is a sort of clamp you can use to keep the fish together, they wor pretty well

Chicken kebabs [ no don't sigh and look martyred lol ]

cutting the chicken up into cubes cuts down the chance that the middle will be uncooked

Cut up about 4 chicken breasts into cubes

put in a basin with

5 tbsps white vinegar

juice and zest of one lemon

1/2 a cup of water

2 tsps cumin [ground]

2 tsps ground coriander

1 tsp dried ginger or 2 tsp fresh or bottled

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp turmeric

1 tbsp paprika

1 tbsp parsley

1 tsp mint

black pepper

refrigerate for a couple of hours then thread the cubes of meat onto skewers along with slices of onion/pepper/aubergine/courgette etc etc

Remember to soak your skewers in water for half an hour

Why do you soak skewers in water for half an hour? i assume it stops them burning but not heard of that before?

Kittenta, you might find this useful, BBC Good Food are doing a feature on BBQ food :cool:

I think some people cook fish in wet newspaper on the bbq for a smokey flavour. Try on the river cottage website or jamie olivers.