Has my clutch gone/going?

Hi people, I have a 2002 Peugeot 307 petrol manual.

The clutch has been normal since I got the car, never gave me any problems at all.

I know it's a hydraulic clutch, not cable.

As I'm driving along today in 4th gear, I come to a junction. I put my foot on the clutch and it's very firm. I put it into first, lift the pedal to where the biting point usually is and nothing is there. I continue to lift it up and it bites right at the very top. Also when driving along, the clutch plates slip now and then. It's almost like something is blocking the plates engaging properly.

More than likely on the way out or the master cylinder is leaking onto the plates. Have you checked that your break fluid is topped up?

Brake fluid was the first thing I checked, all is good there.

Is it normal for the biting point to normal and then suddenly just go right to the top and get a firm/spongy pedal if the clutch is on it's way out?

I will check the clutch for you.

Details in signature below.

Sorry I don't want to drive the car at all until it's fixed. I don't ave the money right now to get anyone to look at it so I'm trying to rectify the problem myself (or with the help of SF members)

I've ordered a new clutch and that should be here Wednesday in time for me to fit it Thursday.

If I were you I'd get a second opinion just in case it's not the clutch. Many years ago I spent a couple of days in the rain replacing my austin clutch. Once I'd got it back together it was no different, a mobile mechanic fixed it in a few minutes for £25, turns out the lever was bent.

Having said that you learn lots from your mistakes... I still do.

If I were you I'd get a second opinion just in case it's not the clutch. Many years ago I spent a couple of days in the rain replacing my austin clutch. Once I'd got it back together it was no different, a mobile mechanic fixed it in a few minutes for £25, turns out the lever was bent.

Having said that you learn lots from your mistakes... I still do.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find someone on Facebook I know to see if they can come out to give it a quick check. I just thought that if a clutch was going, you would get the symptoms over a period of time. Not just all at once.

You've checked the clutch fluid reservoir is full still?

If it's abit low it might indicate you have a leak, first place to look would be the clutch slave cylinder.

Where is this? I've looked at the mechanism going into the gearbox and it looks normal.

The reservoir will probably be on the bulkhead, possibly next to the brake fluid reservoir.

It will be smaller than the brake fluid reservoir.

Check your owners manual, it will have a layout of all the important bits under the bonnet.

There's nothing there, at all. I'll check my Haynes now and see if there's anything in there.

It's impossible to diagnose anything via a forum. Be sensible and take it to a garage to be checked out.It may just save your life!!!!

I'm saving for my next Insurance deposit so I don't really want to spend any money.

All the symptoms tell me the clutch has nearly gone, just looking for opinions and back-up.