Sign in to follow this  

Yet another moving thread...(area suggestions)

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Been directed here from a helpful person @ the steelers forums. My wife and I currently live in Bradford, and we've just sold our house. After the one we were buying fell through, we've decided to move further down the country. We're going to be living in Chesterfield (with the inlaws) for the next few months whilst looking for houses.

The basic question is: what areas of sheffield are nice, and which ones to avoid? We've got up to £130,000 to spend on a house, but not knowing the area very well we're a bit worried we might end up some where we dont wanna be! :shock:

Thanks for any sensible replies! :wink:

Hmm the question is Cron do you want to remain close to your in laws or on the other side of the city.

If the answer to the first part is YES then i recommend areas like Anston, Renishaw and Dronfield, maybe Holmesfield or Dore all which are close to Chesterfield but far enough away from your in laws.

However The North of Sheffield has some nice areas as well such as Thurgoland, Wortley, Stannington (High), Bradfield or Oxspring.

all are surrounded by green belt yet close to the main shopping areas apart from Oxpring which goes out towards Penistone, though handy for the M1 so you can visit your in laws.

incredibly helpful :D many thanks Cycleracer

/trawls internet estate agents.....

Originally posted by "CRoN"

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Been directed here from a helpful person @ the steelers forums. My wife and I currently live in Bradford, and we've just sold our house. After the one we were buying fell through, we've decided to move further down the country. We're going to be living in Chesterfield (with the inlaws) for the next few months whilst looking for houses.

The basic question is: what areas of sheffield are nice, and which ones to avoid? We've got up to £130,000 to spend on a house, but not knowing the area very well we're a bit worried we might end up some where we dont wanna be! :shock:

Thanks for any sensible replies! :wink:

Yes I agree with all that Cycleracer says but your money definitely would buy far far less in Dore than it would in Renishaw. Eckington is good and on the edge of open countryside and only about 5 miles from Chesterfield. We live near there and are well happy.

Where in Bradford did you live as my husband is from there :D

Check out my 2 polls in the Sheffield Related Chat forum. That should give you some ideas as to the best and worst areas of Sheffield.

With your budget in mind, and the in laws being in Chesterfield, I would definately recommend Totley. It is on the edge of the countryside, and in the south to south-west of Sheffield, so nearer Chesterfield than most places. It is a good area with good schools and nice housing, £130k should be able to get you something decent there.

For areas to avoid, I would say:

Gleedless Valley

Lowedges

Totley

Norton Lees isn't a bad area to live in, it's usually peaceful, there's an animal farm/park nearby (a nice walk, and great for entertaining kiddies for the day!) and getting to town is a simple bus journey away. Though there is a secondary school nearby which can be sometimes intimidating when you have a group of students thinking they own the place.

It was me... I was the helpful Steelers fan??

You all soooo proud of me?? :wink:

Chloé

For value for money and to be near to the outlaws, look at Dronfield.

This area has not gone up in price as much as the Sheffield area, but IMHO it will begin to rise next.

You should get a nice house for £130k in Dronfield.

I tell everyone this get the Sheffield Telegraph on a Friday for all the houses for sale. For Chessy and further out get the Derbyshire Times on a Thursday.

Originally posted by "Neo"

Gleedless Valley

Lowedges

Totley

Why on earth would you avoid Totley? It is a leafy residential area with little crime, some nice housing, and on the edge of the countryside. It is one of Sheffields better suburbs, hardly even in the same league as Lowedges and Gleadless. Perhaps you'd care to ellaborate as to why Totley should be avoided?

Originally posted by "t020"

Gleedless Valley

Lowedges

Totley

Yeah, whats wrong with Totley.

Why on earth would you avoid Totley? It is a leafy residential area with little crime, some nice housing, and on the edge of the countryside. It is one of Sheffields better suburbs, hardly even in the same league as Lowedges and Gleadless. Perhaps you'd care to ellaborate as to why Totley should be avoided?

Yeah, whats wrong with Totley, you can,t compare it with the other two.

Something bugging me cycleracer, have you lost the apostrophe key on your keyboard?