Cutlery workers

trying to trace someone who worked in cutlers in early 60s any help on how to do this greatly appreciated

thanks

trying to trace someone who worked in cutlers in early 60s any help on how to do this greatly appreciated

thanks

Maybe if you gave us a name it would help:D

muriel wootton

Edited by godfire
wrong name

Well my goodness me, where to start. Well for a start I am am Emmaus companion, and as such I live in the Sipelia works. For the last 5 weeks since I arrived from Rome Italy, having become homeless as a result of illness, I have worked in and the same areas where some of you have worked in years past. I fell in love with this building with it's elegant sweep, 3 stories high along the canal, it's inner court yard divided by the arch bearing the date in the head stone 1873. I have repainted it and now it is white with the carving in black. I have a workshop here where after sorting it all out I have started to take old oak pre war solid bookshelves and tables and give them a new life in the shabby chic style. I have taken many photographs, including some in the upper floors which are not used, and above all I have wanted to talk to those who worked here and record there stories before it was too late. I agree with Robert D Smith, here is an important part of Britain's History. It is true that the subject is given no place at the otherwise excellent Kelham Island Museum, and indeed elsewhere and in print it is mentioned almost as a foot note to the big impressive side of the iron and later steel industry. As luck would have it I spent my youth in Yorkshire but left not to return until now 41 years later. There is so much more to tell you, like I have found a serving spoon made here in the 60's just today. I have been looking for you on the net, and in one place here you all are. I can tell you that I am in contact with the archivists at the Star, and conservationists at all the museums. I would like you to contact me because I will write the story of what happened here. I will include the fascinating fact that it was Germans escaping the last depression who came here and took this industry and built it up over 30 years, that conditions and pay were so bad and the Japanese were invited to learn how to take it all away after the war. I hope some of you will now start to contact me and make this possible, it is the 100th anniversary of the invention of stainless steel this year. The cutlers and little mesters deserve to have their story told.

I am on Facebook as Andy Hudson and look for Emmaus references there. All the pictures I have taken are there and tell a better story than I can in words for the time being. I wish you all well.

---------- Post added 16-07-2013 at 21:04 ----------

PS I don't know who flossie is but Emmaus got their charity and I'm very glad they did.