Cutlery workers

I hope someone keeps this B & J Sippel thread running, I believe they have an important place in the history of the Sheffield cutlery industry. To me they were ahead of their time in producing a matching co-ordinated tabelware range, breaking away from the tradition of cutlers having nothing to do with spoon and fork. It all seems obvious now but in the 50s xylo handles were the norm and to its utter shame Sheffield went down the road of the infamous whittle-tang.

Before someone chips in about hard soldered, I'm refering to cutlery ordinary folks could afford.

I could have wept in the final days when the scap dealers, like vultures eyed up the goffing shop where the blanks were struck.

Bob.

It was good to hear from you Bob and to know that this thread is still going strong!

I wonder if you were also an employee ?

I have some headed notepaper from the firm which acrually says 'Manufacturers of spoons & forks', which confirms what you were saying. The knives were bought in from a firm called G. W. Thorntons I think.

I would be interested to continue this thread after Christmas and hope that Flossie who needs the information will come back to it.

Sippel

does anybody remember tina waite and ethel holmes at george butlers...ethel was one of the buffers down there...quite a few years have passed ..ethel has sadly passed away quite a while back...

does anybody remember tina waite and ethel holmes at george butlers...ethel was one of the buffers down there...quite a few years have passed ..ethel has sadly passed away quite a while back...

god how many years ago did they work there. I worked there from mid eighties and they didnt work there then, my parents worked there too, long before I did, but still I knew everybody from when I was at school and used to go there alot then. will ask my parents if they know them.

My wife & myself remember both Tina & Ethel, Tina had a sister called Sheree who also worked there for a time & we both worked with Sheree in the early sixties when we all worked at Lee & Wigfalls on John St at what is now the Stag Works which doesnt seem to produce Cutlery any more its mainly for up and coming bands to practice.

I worked at Rutland Cutlery from 1972-1986.

We was on Rutland Road then moved to Neepsend Lane.

But I don't know if it is still there now.

about sipels i worked there 1953 on the machines thay got from germany i beleive the were called bank pollishing machines i was the first in sheffield to work on them i also did lots more buffing polishing finishing press shop warehouse i also married a man who had sister who worked there if you get intouch i can tell you more

Edited by barton123

Hello Bullerboy,

Yes it would be. I have now registered with the SF, so my name on here is patsycher.

Anyone interested in talking about me working at Siples, can pm me on this new member name, and not to barton123.

hi yes i worked at siples 1953

my dad and mum both workt ther in the 1950s ther names wer jess n pat douglas

hi yes i worked at siples 1953

Hi,

I have a set of knives made by B&J Sippel Ltd, polished stainless steel blade, etched company name, with ivory handles, in a cardboard box. Would you know for how long ivory handles were in production? After 1948?

regards

cutleryquest