Cutlery workers

Anybody remember Leppingtons? My mother worked there for many years after the war, I think she retired in 1966.

My Auntie worked at Viners & my wife & mother inlaw worked at Richards in the early 70s.I worked at Pnuematic Componants Ltd on Ayr Street at the back of Woolworths.

I have some photographs taken I think in Millhouses park they show my father and mother. The others I dont recognise but they may be the Sipple brothers. Does anyone have any photographs of the Sipple brothers?

Flossie happy, to talk to you about how my father came to England. I haven't posted sufficient post yet to be able to sent you a private message. When I have I will contact you. In the mean time my father came to England in 1932. There was no work in Germany. My father and a friend (a relative) used to go to a cafe in Solingen where they met with an agent who had contacts in England. My father had worked for Krupp in Solingen. Unfortunately the friend of my father found he was soon to become a father and so had to stay behind in Solingen. My father came alone not knowing the language. He just got on trains and a boat and arrived with no knowledge of the language or customs of this country. I know that he knew the Sippel brothers and that at some time he worked for them, He may even have worked for Richards at some time. Certainly one of the Sippel brothers was present at his marriage in Sheffield to my mother who fearing the loss of her fiance to an English Rose followed shortly after my father also with no knowledge of English. Quite a courageous journey for the time I think. More later. By the way I would like to contact an old school chum Peter Armitage. He lived near Bents Green and went to Silverdale School he would be around 58-60 years old by now. Lost contact many years ago and would love to contact him again.

Thanks Edwin

It is really interesting to read your post. It must have been very hard for your father to come to England at that time especially as he didn't know the language. I'm sure a lot of Germans came here in the 30s as I know the depression there was much more severe than here mainly due to the economic contraints put on the country after WW1. I have a very poor picture of Beno Siple which was printed in the Star or Telegraph just after he died in 1947. When we get in contact I will show it to you.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Originally posted by Unregistered

I thought that the biggest was Hiram Wild Ltd, still going strong on Herries Road, near the Sheff Wed football ground.

George Butlers was far bigger and better in their heyday. They supplied the Queen, 10 Downing Street and had big contract with Harrods. They also carried the Bristish Standard Mark - the kitemark.

I work there for a number of years, as did my family and friends. Was the best cutlery factory by far. The people an assortment of folk, but was best thing I ever did working there. Sadly closed down now as cutlery is dying trade but such good memories. Started on Sydney Street in town then moved to Tinsley, now a unit next to meadowhall, then to Ecclesfield. I work at all three. DID not move to Deeley's when it was bought out as it was not George Butlers anymore then. Those factory days were sometimes hard but always a laugh to be heard.

Hi sezemeseeds

I also worked at all three then moved to Deeleys & remember Tony Dylla, Earnest Hemmings, John Mannion, Mick Clark, turban Joan, Lilly Tankard, Mick Harris,The malone clan,The fowler brothers & many more! I also met my wife at Matilda st happy days.

Deeleys still do George Butler work but the quality is not the same!

The trade has changed so much since matilda st but not the wage ha ha

I,m one of the last old hands left from butlers,still think of myself as a butler lad.

I have been following this conversation with interest - my grandfather was a master cutler and silversmith and worked for (among others) Mappin & Webb.

we have a very small number of items he made but I also have some lovely family stories - he made a trowel for Churchill to lay a foundation stone in Sheffield; he laid down his tools and covered his workbench when they were showing the Japanese through the factory straight after the war - wasnt going to let them see his trade secrets!

I have previously been an avid collector of James Dixon and last time I was in Sheffield (1982) visted theire office to buy more cutlery. From what Ive seen on this thread and others relating to Dixons they are no longer in business - can anyone shed any light on this? I will be visiting the UK later this year and may come to Sheffield to do more research - is the best place for this Cutler's Hall?

I read Edwins comments with interest but I dont think he is still on the site?

Flossie, I worked for Harrisons Cutlery just off the wicker, they were taken over like most other small cutlery works by BJ Sipple in the 60's, Sipples was slave labour, they were the first cutlery shop to start shift work & it was a place where migrants from Jamaica & Arabia etc went to work when they first arrived in Sheffield, Sipples couldn't get anyone else to do the work with all the dusty conditions etc for the money that they offered.

The first 6 months I was employed by them I spent removing machines from the cutlery companies that they had taken over, which were many, then when they installed the multiple dollier machines [polishes] that I worked on they cut the time limits on the process so that they would get more spoons, forks out the door more quickly,needless to say the quality of the product suffered, they then had us train 3 Jamaicans to work the machines so they could work the 12 hour night shift and tried to get us to work the 12 hour days but we refused, it was only a short time after that, that I & others that had transferred from Harrisons left because of the conditions.

Now you know why the Sheffield cutlery industry is no longer what it used to be.

Hi sezemeseeds

I also worked at all three then moved to Deeleys & remember Tony Dylla, Earnest Hemmings, John Mannion, Mick Clark, turban Joan, Lilly Tankard, Mick Harris,The malone clan,The fowler brothers & many more! I also met my wife at Matilda st happy days.

Deeleys still do George Butler work but the quality is not the same!

The trade has changed so much since matilda st but not the wage ha ha

I,m one of the last old hands left from butlers,still think of myself as a butler lad.

Are you Kevin?

I am one of the malone clan? which clan are you from then??????

Im the good looking brunette (female) the youngest of the malone clan!!!!!!!!!:hihi: :hihi:

Are you Kevin?

kevin is my name & polishings still my game?:loopy: