Hi Brian. Malc. sorry to hear about our good pall Arthur Clough

I have spoke to Joan. Its nice to hear about the old times at

the tank factory I always say they was the best ten years of

my working life. Any way I have some good tales to tell I have

jotted down 30 odd names from when I was there. IN Respect

of Arthur and Joan i will leave it for a few weeks All the best

Roy

Edited by roy marriott

hiya Roy yes sorry about Auther ,like you say some of the best years at Warren Lane ,with lots of tales to tell ,the set of cutlery you put in the toolpost for Erick kirby on M:c.6,the card schools ,dont know how jack Denton coped with us .i could reminisce for hours about the the times and workmates ,once a Warren Laner always a Warren Laner,take care Roy lots of love to you and Nellie Bri xxx

• 3 months later...

Neville Wilkinson was an auxillary fireman I believe. He then went on to join the service full time. I seem to remember the firestation was just inside the current Ronseal site and the buildings are still there. I used to watch the pump being used down at the pond down at the 5 arches.

hiya Nimrod yea Neville did join the fire service with Terry Turton ,yhey were both brass band players which went along way to getting them in the fire service as they were both only about 5ft 5ins tall ,but they both did about 30 yrs ,Neville still lives on Warren Lane i think ,Bri Bloomer

Hiya bri bloomer, I seem to remember a small Austin type van being garaged with the fire appliance but not sure what it was used for. That garage had an inspection pit in it which I think some people used for doing repairs to their own vehicles.

What happened to the appliance, does anyone know?

I was mooching around what used to be Nevilles allotment at Warren. Its all overgrown now. He played cornet, so did his twin? brother Terry. They played with Ecclesfield or Chapeltown Band. If Neville is still alive he must be pushing 80 by now. I lived at Westwood Row the same time as him. He worked at Thorpe pit [i think] then left to join the brigade. My dad always said they had to cut 6" off his axe handle to stop it trailing on the floor.