Mobile speed cameras

cayton

And here we have a do gooder that never goes 31 mph :rolleyes:

I never go at any mph, I don't drive - but that's completely irrelevant. When I break the law, deliberately OR accidentally, I expect to pay the penalty, and I don't complain about people trying to enforce it.

There's already plenty of signs warning you to slow down. They're called speed-limit signs. I see no need to put up another one.

Why would anyone need to know where there is a speed camera? Apart, of course, from people breaking the law .. and I don't see why you'd be wanting to help those.

I wouldn't want to help anyone breaking the law, I never said I would.

I just found it amusing that someone would go to the lengths mentioned, maybe they were annoyed at how the camera van always hides in the driveway of the ambulance station, so you can't see him from the main road?

I thought that was illegal in itself?

There's already plenty of signs warning you to slow down. They're called speed-limit signs. I see no need to put up another one.

Personally I don't think there are enough speed limit signs.

For example, say I take the lovely new detour around the A6102 that the council can't be bothered to fix, There is a 30MPH speed limit sign as you enter Worral But If you go up Stockarth Lane and turn right onto Haggstones Rd and down church street, theres not one sign telling you the speed limit.

As there are no street lights on Stockarth lane that makes it national speed limit right? then as it turns into Mowson Lane it becomes 30 because of the lights?

Now at the bottom of church St I can turn left towards Deepcar (or, if I don't know the area, I can turn right into the oncoming traffic on the one way system, as there is no signage to tell you otherwise) the signs along this part are most fun, they are either covered over (by the council) temporary 50 signs just on the bend before the temporary traffic lights, doing 50 in a bus must be fun as you spot the red light and queue of traffic round the corner - or there are no signs at all.

At Oughtibridge mill it becomes 40.

Going in the other direction, it's 40 from the Blue Ball at wharncliffe Side, then a 30 sign, then theres signs covered up again, a 50 sign thats kinda tilted sideways (does that count) then a 30 sign, all within about a 1/4 mile.

And you have to keep your eyes on the road...

Wouldn't it be funny if someone made a cardboard sign "smile at the cops round the corner" :-)

We have something like that in Oughtie. Somebody usually puts cardboard signs up (I think it might be the same person who does the ones at Winn Gardens). Somebody also puts a big lorry trailor in front of where the speed camera van is supposed to be.

it happens every time!

I wouldn't want to help anyone breaking the law, I never said I would.

I just found it amusing that someone would go to the lengths mentioned, maybe they were annoyed at how the camera van always hides in the driveway of the ambulance station, so you can't see him from the main road?

I thought that was illegal in itself?

So did I.

I am totally in agreement with reducing speed and catching idiots.

I have two young kids and the main roads scare the life out of me sometimes.

But I do not think the cameras are placed in areas to be a help. They are at certain points to catch the people going just over thirty so they can all get abonus when they hit their targets.

The Police should get off their arses and catch criminals. I dont blame specific officers (although some can be jobsworths). I blame politically correct numptys like Med Whateverhisnameis who runs our local constabulary.Politically correct New Labour goons who spend more time working on soundbites rather than real crime.

The traffic police are always going to cop for abuse. But it is the fact that hard working normal people can become criminals with this police force wheras crack heads et al just seem to get their benefits increased.

Message to Top Cop Med Whateveryournameis; Stop sending your officers on diversity courses to learn how to wear a dress and catch some criminals.

And do not quote that Sheffield is the safest place in the world.

People dont report a lot of crimes because they know your officers will not turn out for some of it and cannot do anyhting about it either.

In terms of this thread, tell the fat copper Strawberry milkshakes are no good for him:hihi:

I don't know if anyone likes me or my posts but i'm going to try and demonstrate another way of thinking. The cardboard sign is a way of annoying the cops making them realise they aren't as clever as they think they are, two can play at sneaky games. Its the cops I'd want to discover the sign like when a new unit comes to relieve them. It would be obstructing a cop in the exec of his duty of course so sadly no-one could overcome the inbuilt paranoia to make a sign. It releases tension thinking about it.

Going back to the politically correct speed limit and all the lovers of it, if speed limits are so important how come you don't get a ban for going on a dual carriageway at 70 with 40mph signs(halifax road weekend nights taxis), but on a motorway going the same 30mph over that limit 100mph gets you a ban? Catching drivers out can only be political correctness to filter the public into good and bad - you should all find that insulting. If speed limits are so important why is it cars don't have a button for 30mph, one for 40mph, one for 50mph, one for 70mph? because the speed limits aren't important enough to change car design thats why, speed limits are there as a guide really, like the 5mph limit on supermarket carparks is always broken. Doing 10mph over stupid limits once in a while is the least bad thing that naughty law breakers can possibly do if you sat and made a list starting with Murder.

I'm happy to pedal my pushbike on roads knowing if someones holding their speed at 10mph above the limit they'll see my flourescent coat and slow down to the limit, then speed up when they've passed me. If I'm happy with that why are other people not so understanding?

For example, say I take the lovely new detour around the A6102 that the council can't be bothered to fix, There is a 30MPH speed limit sign as you enter Worral But If you go up Stockarth Lane and turn right onto Haggstones Rd and down church street, theres not one sign telling you the speed limit.

As there are no street lights on Stockarth lane that makes it national speed limit right? then as it turns into Mowson Lane it becomes 30 because of the lights?

Now at the bottom of church St I can turn left towards Deepcar (or, if I don't know the area, I can turn right into the oncoming traffic on the one way system, as there is no signage to tell you otherwise) the signs along this part are most fun, they are either covered over (by the council) temporary 50 signs just on the bend before the temporary traffic lights, doing 50 in a bus must be fun as you spot the red light and queue of traffic round the corner - or there are no signs at all.

At Oughtibridge mill it becomes 40.

Going in the other direction, it's 40 from the Blue Ball at wharncliffe Side, then a 30 sign, then theres signs covered up again, a 50 sign thats kinda tilted sideways (does that count) then a 30 sign, all within about a 1/4 mile.

It'd be funny if it wasn't true. I regularly make this trip (both directions) and was amazed (when I first encountered it) with the 40/30/50/30mph limits within such a small area.