Sign in to follow this  

Arbow Low in the White Peak District

Does anyone know anything about, what I understand could be termed ' The Stonehenge of the North ' but called, ' Arbor Low ' at GR 635161. in the White Peak District?

What exactly do you want to know about it, Albert? There's loads of references on Google. From an archaeological angle, or mystical angle?

What exactly do you want to know about it, Albert? There's loads of references on Google. From an archaeological angle, or mystical angle?

Basically what I'm seeking is:- If a member of the forum, who knows the history of Arbor Low would lead a small group of interested people on a visit to explain things.

I've been many times to the stone circle but I still do not know how it really was put together or the reason why.

How the huge rocks were lifted without cranes, leads me to suspect, that most people then, must have been a lot stronger than we are these days!!

I understand another circle is also visible not far away in the Tissington Area.

Was there a connection?

How the huge rocks were lifted without cranes, leads me to suspect, that most people then, must have been a lot stronger than we are these days!!

I once asked that question and was told they were probably pulled into place by horses, slaves, logs, cogs and ropes..... I'm not sure how much fact was in this though.

I once asked that question and was told they were probably pulled into place by horses, slaves, logs, cogs and ropes..... I'm not sure how much fact was in this though.

Over the years I've read and heard so many reasons.

What I would very much like to do is to take a group of interested people and have someone who has taken an interest in Arbor Low and the area's many other ancient development's to give a brief historic outline about them.