Anyone know what's killing my chillis?

My previously healthy looking plants have turned into sticks in pots overnight. The leaves have turned black in places and dropped off and there seems to be a inch long section at the base of the main stem that has turned brown and woody. Re-potted some earlier in the week but not all, they're kept in a greenhouse. Any clues? All advice appreciated! Thankfully the ones in the house are fine (touchwood!!)

sounds like it's rot. bin it. Sometimes overwatering causes it. Also if the humidity is wrong in the greenhouse, it can cause it to rot.

Thanks. Found loads of small white bugs crawling round in it aswell. Can;t quite work out what they are either. Maybe this gardening lark's not for me after all!

White or pale green bugs? Chilli's a really attractive to certain bugs and they are hard to get rid of. However, don't let it put you off. We grew a lovely plant from seed, in the kitchen windowsill where it got the hot morning sun. Before the bugs got to it, we had over a year of chilli growth, way too much for just us to eat.

in the compost you mean?

leave the pot for a while, then tap it. If a load of tiny black flies fly up out of it, then you're better off cleaning all the compost off the roots, and repotting. Use yellow sticky paper traps, and periodically tap the pot and the flies will stick to it. they're called sciarid flies (and their lavae) I have trouble with them on my tomatoes

try here

slugs like young chillis plants ,thay eat throw the main stem arrrrrrrrrrr

just so you all know

Just thought I would let you know (you probably do already) but my other half has been growing chillies for a couple of years and at the end of the growing season has been throwing them out. We were told to keep the woody stems and they would come back again year after year, and sure enough this year one of last years plants has come back to life and grown more chillies so keep them over winter and see if yours re-grow too.:)

wish i know that last year had some very good plants but this year :gag: there crap very crap 1chilli on each plant compered to 50 to 100 the year before,,,mine in green house

in the compost you mean?

leave the pot for a while, then tap it. If a load of tiny black flies fly up out of it, then you're better off cleaning all the compost off the roots, and repotting. Use yellow sticky paper traps, and periodically tap the pot and the flies will stick to it. they're called sciarid flies (and their lavae) I have trouble with them on my tomatoes

try here

carnt remember why we do but might help you ,,do you grow marigolds next to your toms stops so bugs going near them think it the smell ,,,if you like them try jolly jesters thay look very nice dont know if there the beat to keep bugs away thow

The grubs arent vine weevil grubs are they? cream coloured shaped like a C? If so get rid of the compost immediately. Squash the grubs. Check other plants.

Did the leaves get eaten or did they drop off? Caterpillars and slugs have eaten a lot of my stuff this year.

my chillis and peppers were doing very well, we've had fruit from them for about 2 years now. But just this week the leaves have turned yellow and are dropping off very quickly. Any ideas please?

my first thoughts are cold and overwatering(?) where dya keep them?