Ex Waltheof School pupils

When i was at waltheof it was a laugh me paul mincher bob smith mick gudgeon and darren ward.we won inter class 5 aside went all way through together.me mincher and gudgeon played for school team other players were rich morris john williamson jon dudley neal simmonite rich bolton forgot rest.2nd year we were good evans and vause manager...3rd and 4th year we were crap then 5th year good.gutted shinny died.i tried getting off gear but couldnt.ne and gudge got wacked off gudrem at annex with cannoe ore.mr pratt slippered us cane off marshall also slipper of rawson lol we were rogues and spellings same today as it were then crap. Other pals were chalkey lee winters galley they were year above.

I was there from 1977-81. I was called Mal Askham back then. I remember Mr Gudrun the metalwork teacher, I believe he later became headmaster. Mr Nicholson, Miss Oxley, Mr Harris, Mr Hind, the Honey Monster(Evans), Rawson who later became head of Hinde House and quite a few more.

Edited by Baz Lamb

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Caz1, Thanks for the Miss Beckett, I remember her now! Your female PE teacher`s name escapes me too, but I bet Mr Ransom knows it...he was always in her little office by the side of the Changing Rooms near the Gym!::heyhey: Again, apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick again. Nice to hear from you!

I think the female PE teacher was miss Grainey. Ransom used to follow her about like a lost puppy.

I'm definitely a late developer as I have only just discovered this site. I left Waltheof in 1972 and used to play badminton for school team. Others were Gary, Richard, Tom, Tony Staniland. Lynne Cowley was my mixed doubles partner. Comments about Lynne made me chuckle. Ian Tunnard, the English teacher took us for badminton.

Anyway this is a great site and it's lovely to read about people's experiences at the school.

Would be great to hear from anyone who remembers me.

---------- Post added 13-11-2014 at 13:26 ----------

BixB (July 2009)

All the names you mentioned were also in my class, I remember them as if it were yesterday! Me and Kenneth S were esp good friends.

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 08:09 ----------

Exhatter, you were at school the same time as me. Reveal yourself. Lol

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 10:20 ----------

I've hated tech drawing all my life and all because of Ben Holland. He would scribble on the lessons work on board and bellow for us to get on with it. Does anyone remember the, 'Put your hand down boy or I'll smack your paws' if ever we dared to put our hand up with a question. He was horrible. Imagine my shock horror upon discovering one lunchtime he had an identical twin!!

---------- Post added 17-11-2014 at 15:01 ----------

I do know Shirley Needham, she left in 72 the same year as me. What/where is Shirley now'. Do ask her if she remembers me, it would be great to hear from her. My contact number is 07931223616. I went to Waltheof from Whitby Road.

Hi Judith, it's good to hear back from you. You mentioned a few names...I remember Kevin Hicken. Robert Marshall discovered a way of making statues. He would use soft wire for the internal shape and cover it with plaster of paris. I was surprised he didn't make a business of it cos he was good. Agree about the boffin Joan Holden, who I remember as nervy and shy but always into books. I thought she would become a librarian but I'm sure she did better.

You say Rowena was your best friend..that's interesting. You would know they had a shop on Industry Road but did you know the house that we lived in on Industry Rd was purchased from them! However, I couldn't tell you her whereabouts now.

---------- Post added 19-11-2014 at 22:22 ----------

Ps I thought the school badge was a shield

---------- Post added 21-11-2014 at 23:34 ----------

Hi Darnex, Burnsy (and others who were at Whitby Road), whatever happened to Elizabeth Cooke? I kind of vaguely remember her emigrating to Australia and wondered if anyone had heard from her since. Kevin B was the best swimmer ever but who/how many swam half a mile at Attercliffe baths?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ali. Last I heard from Liz She was living in the Bristol Area and doing OK .

Remember you as Ali . A at whitby rd , then later Ali. L at stalag - waltheof .

Younger Bro' named Yaqub ?

Indeed Mr. B. Holland ! lunchtime frequenter of the three - feathers pub , woe betide who got the 1st lesson afterwards !

Quote : " come out here my little manekin , and let me lay some willow across your filthy paws "

" what did you draw that homework with lad ? a stub out of the gutter ? " followed by an almighty whack with the T - Square .

Good to hear you are still around .

* I think it may have been Judith Burley who went to Oz.

Edited by Darnex
addition