Ex Waltheof School pupils

Hi all you out there who left waltheof in 1969/1970.are you like me wondering where last 50 years went and amazed you still alive and kicking(or at least alive!!!)

How about a roll call i was in 1/1 2/1etc

Be great if whoever left of us could get together to remember if we can!! The school days

Any suggestions would love to hear from you all miss sardine girls!!! And any lads

I'm aware that there are extensive posts on SF regarding Waltheof School, but I thought it appropriate to refresh the topic, especially as alumni of that esteemed (or not so esteemed) institution have passed on to the great gig in the sky.

I entered the shiny plastic corridors of Pop Postlethwaite's empire in 1967.  The "Sirs"... DW Smith, H Smith, Ray Ranson, Batman Battersby, Len Shipley, Mr Battye, Dale.

Misses?  They must have been brave...Sarson (acidic as vinegar), Semmens (unfortunate and much lampooned name), and the very short-skirted Miss Clegg.

Happy days...

I enjoyed my time there and the teachers weren’t bad.

Some I’ve chosen to remember well, others not so much.

Some friends I’ve kept in touch with and some have kind of disappeared.

When the school burned down I was in my last year there....

Pete foster reporting in for duty wheres the reunion what pub what time and do they have real ale

On 04/01/2007 at 22:08, littlewizzle said:

i went to waltheof and i think i left in 96 i was in gareth lewis and gareth johnsons year:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Thankyou for the mention.

On 29/09/2019 at 20:00, janetcartwright said:

Hi all you out there who left waltheof in 1969/1970.are you like me wondering where last 50 years went and amazed you still alive and kicking(or at least alive!!!)

Be great if whoever left of us could get together to remember if we can!! The school days

Any suggestions would love to hear from you all miss sardine girls!!! And any lads

Hi Janet

I remember you well when you knocked about with my twin sister Sue Shaw! 

On 08/02/2016 at 21:36, Dufflecoat said:

I remember a youth club disco thing on barnidiston road

Could have been In a church hall or some other building it was called ace of clubs or spades

Went with a guy called Lee Evans his parents owned the shop at top of high hazels road

Must have been mid 1960 's

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 11:11 ----------

Out there does anyone know of any of the old teachers from 1965 to 1970 that taught at Waltheof that still are around

There must be some

Some may even read these posts to see what we thought of them

Wonder if they want to contribute

I know of one of the former teachers. Miss. Maurine Chadwick who became Mrs. Shipley. 

She was the RE teacher in the days when that subject was compulsory subject, a bit hard going for us atheists/cynics.

About eight years ago I caught up with a colleague of mine from Sheffield in Germany. Talk got round to days that are gone and school teachers.

Well he knew of an association from Sheffield University where we both had been and was run by Derek  Shipley .

The Association is SU3A , Sheffield University third age, a sort of Club that runs social events, functions and outings to concerts for former college  students.

Derek Shipley  is the husband of Maureen and they live in Bradway in Sheffield. But what's more my friend gave me the address of the Shipleys  and urged me to write.

So, I wrote.

To my surprise Maurine wrote a lovely letter back to me here in Australia.

She told me of her life after Waltheof, her family and said that she also remembered me as I had attended a Military school at some time which was a surprise as I was only at Waltheof  for just over a year before being transferred to City Grammar. I did not know that many people were aware of that. Parents in the Forces.

In her letter she included a press cutting from the Star about the death of Miss. Sarson.    

As far as I am aware  the Shipleys still live in Bradway.

Edited by CF8M
grammer

On 17/12/2016 at 21:10, Darnex said:

Hollandisms continued :

" For all those little mannekins ( first years ) who have not yet heard rumours of me ?

Let me tell you that I am much worse "

" Anyone late with their homework will be flogged until they bleed "

" Hearson ! " ( Kevin) who was misfortunate to have been ogling the Girls netball practice via the nearby window .....

" Get out into that yard lad , and perform netball with Miss Semmens ( netball teacher ) which He duly did . as if He had a choice. He was run ragged , but never stopped smiling.

Kevin H was , and hopefully still is , an extremely pleasant lad who's natural hangdog expression , then subsequent grin , still reminds me of Paul Newman in the Film " Cool Hand Luke "

Some Guys ( and Gals) whom attended Waltheof had a pretty tough upbringing , maybe the harshness of the regime was to help prepare us for future life's ups and downs , putting it mildly ?

---------- Post added 17-12-2016 at 21:12 ----------

Nearly forgot " Man Bites Policeman "

There's a 'Battye'-ism that I recall when Mr Battye was reading and Alaf Khan threw a sag bomb at his dome (Chewed up paper) and barely missed his left ear by a gnats kna*ker!

He said- 'Get outside Khan, I'm going to thash you and i'm going to thoroughly enjoy it'!!, Pretty sure he bacame the mothpiece for the teachers union many yars later (Saw him on telly making demands!!)

👍🥴

On 29/09/2019 at 20:00, janetcartwright said:

Hi Janet, didn't you knock about with my twin sister Sue Shaw of Nidd Road?

On 26/10/2016 at 09:33, Chill Time said:

Hi Steved32

This was the year after me. Though many of the names I recognise, some close friends who I am no longer in touch with.

I hope he will prove me wrong but I believe John Smalley has passed on to pasture greener (RIP).

I was only there for the last year. But I remember a few names on the list. I escaped earlier than I should. Any scooter lads on the list ? Silver Blades lot or Bowling Alley. I knocked around with a few mods after leaving. Great days, great music. 

Anybody out there recognise yourselves?

72xclcW.jpg

Edited by Dun graftin

Some names I can recall. 

Michael Bramhall, David Briggs, ? Richard Ainley, ? ? Richard Greene, John Gillot, ? Michael Connoly, Nigel Deakin, ? Peter Smith, ? Peter Grayson.

? ? ? ? Martyn Thurlow, Roland Cone, ? Ian_ ? ? Richard Brown, ? ? Timothy Mahoney, Richard Lean.

? Ian Ellingham, Richard Taylor, Garry France, ? ? Susan Shaw, Ian Elliot, Catherin Hodgeson, ? ? ? ? ?

The quality of the photo isn’t that good I know. So spotting some faces is difficult.

Also it wasn’t that long since Waltheof had merged with Pipworth Road, so some names hadn’t become embedded before we left for the big wide world,