Ex Waltheof School pupils

YBnsqcc.jpg

Just now, Enfield said:

YBnsqcc.jpg

Under 11 football team in 66, I think I can name them all, lad in centre with the ball went on to play for and manage United.

Guest makapaka
On 07/06/2022 at 05:48, Enfield said:

YBnsqcc.jpg

Under 11 football team in 66, I think I can name them all, lad in centre with the ball went on to play for and manage United.

Who was the lad?

I can recognize faces but the names have gone in the mist of time. Do you have any other names?

On 20/10/2004 at 22:07, Gunner said:

Do you remember Roger Pass, His dad kept Greyhouds. What a character. Used to be my best mate. But lost touch. I remember the first day at the school. The very first day it opened. I have put a piece on another thread about that. It was our generation that designed their badge. In those days it was the badge of courage. I shed a tear when the scum bags set fire to it.

I lived next door to the Pasks on Frederick Street and went to school with Trevor. I remember Roger, George, Buster, Melvyn and Susan. Had nowt but happy days

On 25/10/2016 at 20:14, Chill Time said:

I served my time there 65 to 71.

Here are some names that spring to mind.

Anyone still around?

Very sadly I can’t remember any girls’ names with enough confidence to add them to the list.

Any help out there willing to make additions?

Mick Connelly

Richard Green

Richard Wall

Richard Lean

Richard Brown (RIP)

Richard Taylor

John Carrington

Peter Smith

Peter Grayson

Mick Marcus

David Briggs

Peter Dyson

Martyn Thurlow

Yusef Hadar

Tim Mahoney

Robert Lindsay

Mick Bramhall

Dave Elliot

Robert Elliot

Nigel Deakin

John Gillot

Iqbal Mohammed

Ian Ellingham

Gary Ashton

I was in the same class as Kevin Burns, David Waller, Grahame Windle, Kenneth Stinchcombe, Kevin Stones, Julie Hargreaves, Julie Caley, Phil Timms, Phil Pickering. I can see faces but not put names to them anymore. Seems like yesterday but now I'm an OAP.

I left in 1972 I was a terrible student just wanted to avoid getting hit by the gestapo. I'm obviously now an old man and getting sentimental about the past but I think everyone thought the violence of the teachers was normal. certainly would not happen these days.

I was sad to see John Smalley had died I can remember going round to his little house next to the green club and Tim Mahoney was there we played our guitars and thought we were great.

RIP John my friend

On 20/08/2022 at 19:09, Jon Drabble said:

I was sad to see John Smalley had died I can remember going round to his little house next to the green club and Tim Mahoney was there we played our guitars and thought we were great.

RIP John my friend

Just had to re - register ? ( originally darnex without the space) anyways......

Indeed , John was a very open and kind person.

Remembered by many on this Forum, and elsewhere , but certainly not forgotten .He never had an easy life.

Had some laughs trying to play " Liquidator " ( Harry J & the All Stars ? ) on his Orange/Red ? Keyboard.

Met up with John in later life , as previously posted by myself (Darnex)

Remember your name John , but not your face . No doubt we all now , look better from a distance .

Cheers.

On 20/06/2022 at 08:05, kevstones said:

I lived next door to the Pasks on Frederick Street and went to school with Trevor. I remember Roger, George, Buster, Melvyn and Susan. Had nowt but happy days

Hi Kev

Trevor Pask , Crows nest Shock of hair that probably contained a few stowaway rodents ( I Jest)

appeared to saunter through life without a care in the world , unflappable , smiling . A character .

On 10/10/2019 at 21:00, steved32 said:

and the very short-skirted Miss Clegg.

Happy days...

French Teacher , Think She became Miss (Mrs) Lockhart ?

She had the unfortunate ,and somewhat sadistic habit of grabbing hold of a ( boy) pupil's sideburns ( chads) which was Bloomin' painful , even in our bum-fluff years ...........

and removing them from their desk , and often the room . the victim having not paid due attention to Her warblings .......

A lad called Kenny Todd & Myself were pals , and Kenny was an ace joke - teller , We were often " removed" from Her presence in this fashion , but still laughing fitfully .

Eventually She barred us from Her lessons .

Tres Bien  ! , thinks  us .

I can still recall the joke that got us banished , but it is not fit to publish

A chance encounter allowed me to repeat this Joke to Kenny ( Ken) bout' 4 years ago , and had the same effect.

Good Times

I hated every moment I was there.

Which thankfully was not for long.

Being new to Sheffield and worse not having a Sheffield accent I became the target of derision and scorn.

It taught me a great lesson in how to  make the best of it and manipulate people, especially some of the "snobbish" teachers. 

Sarson and Marshall  were the easiest,  it helped having a double barrel name!

I remember when I first started Geoff Ray was head boy and Ida Sarson got him a job at Walshes' department store as a trainee.

I wondered at the time what was the significence of this and why a teacher would do this.

I found out this store was the local equivalent of Harrods ( nowhere near as fancy) where Ida Sarson spent a lot of time.

My father went down to London a fair bit and went into Harrods and got some of their  paper carrier bags, which I passed on to Sarson.

Did the trick!

One of the things that stood out to me was the absolute cruelty  dished out by the staff. Knight, Cooper, Marshall and Postlethwaite.  

Even Ida Sarson. I remember her in an altercation with with one of the senior girls and giving her an almighty slap across the face.

This may seem strange but of all the teachers I got on well with was Ben Holland, Tech' drawing.

Of all the teachers, he knew how I felt about being there and and we struck up quite a rapport and talked a lot.

But looking back after all these years I don't have any regrets because it was an experience  in life.

Both sides good and bad, mostly the latter.

I suppose if you don't make the best of experiences and opportunities then it's all wasted.