Horse Riding in Crookes

coops

Does anyone know if Cloughfields Stables near Crookes are a riding stables? I really want to start riding again but prices are just stupid (around £17 for half an hour at someplaces). Also does anyone know of anyone that owns a horse that gives private lessons?

Thanks

I rang them a while back as I was after lessons - they only give lessons to people who keep their horses in the livery yard.

I did find a couple of places but they were £20 for 30 minutes... Sorry.

I've also found that people rarely want to give you lessons on their own horse due to insurance reasons. Pants, innit. :lol:

I've also found that people rarely want to give you lessons on their own horse due to insurance reasons. Pants, innit. :lol:

To be honest I think people are also a bit protective of letting people who havent' ridden, or at least not for a while ride their hore that they have spent years working on!

To be honest I think people are also a bit protective of letting people who havent' ridden, or at least not for a while ride their hore that they have spent years working on!

That has a lot to do with it. The odd time is fine but actually teaching someone is a different thing all together. Horses are flight animals and can be very dangerous, most people that have own a horse, don't have one that is suitable to be used in a riding school. I know mine isn't. I also wouldn't want the risk of a beginner hurting my horses back tbh (and goes without saying the beginner being hurt)

Another major thing is insurance. I have 3rd party cover for someone else to ride my horse (through BHS) but I don't think this covers for much, I ought to check it out really. I still pay over £300 a year for seperate fully comp insurance, but this only covers me to ride her, no-one else. This goes up every year as well because of expensive claims (Horseriding/sports is supposedly now classed as the most dangerous sport).

Riding stables have to charge so much because the insurance for them to keep running is very, very, very expensive. It's not as simple as just jumping on a horse and learning to ride anymore, which is a shame, but will also hopefully ensure less illegal riding schools are running.

If you really want to ride, I'm afraid as Lotti said, you will have to pay an extortionate amount of money for it until you are competent.

Go to the BHS (British Horse Society) for a list of riding schools that they recommend.

Hey

I completly understand that a horse owner would be reluctant to let a beginner ride their horses. It is just frustrating when you cant actually afford to do something you really enjoy. It is pointless going to a riding school for an odd lesson as they too have to gain confidence in you before you can go out on hacks etc. I am not a complete beginner I rode for 10 years I am just a bit out of touch.

Unfortunately horses are a really expensive business these days for everyone involved (unless you are lucky enough to have inherited lots of land & dont work so can DIY everything). Lessons are sadly expensive as horses are expensive to keep, feed, insure etc

For the same reasons as Jess I wouldnt ever have taught anyone on my horses, even close friends. Most privately owned horses are very different animals to those in a riding school (often like swimming in your local pool vs the north sea in a storm!) though this of course depends on the level of the owner. Some people do have a nice steady eddy, but in most cases it is neither fair on the horse or safe for the rider, even if they have been going to a riding school for a long time. If someone does offer to teach you are you find somewhere much cheaper than other places I would be very wary.

I know its really frustrating. I personally cant bear riding schools and always ride for other people now I dont keep my own. However, I would always err on the side of caution (I have had & have witnessed some nasty accidents) and pay for a good school. Front the cost if you can even if it is not as frequent as you like. I dont think this is pointless as if the school is good it wont take long for them to see your capabilities. Then once you get going again if you are really committed get to know some people, perhaps find a horse share with someone at the same level as you? Good luck....

p.s. i know someone who has lessons in Dore and really likes it there.....