What do you think of Arbourthorne?

Hello,

I am just in the process of moving up to Arbourthorne from Heeley/Olive Grove area. What do you guys think about the area?

It is really the best area I could aford to buy a home in (Apart from Manor, pitsmoor).

I have been going up their everynigh and have not seen any trouble. I gues if you keep yourself to yourself your ok.

Anyonce else live around there?:o

:wave: hi

I work in Arbourthorne and have known it quite well for four years. You could have chosen a better area, but you could have chosen worse as well. Arbourthorne is in the regeneration process, and things should really start moving in the next couple of years, in which case you may have made a very good investment. In Norfolk Park, for instance, house prices have started to rise as the area improves - the new housing is too highly priced in my opinion, as a worker in the area, I couldn't afford one. But the idea is to move in new blood as well as keep past residents.

The bad news is that Manor and Castle and Norfolk Park got a headstart on the regen process, and a good many nuisance troublemakers who frequented those areas have moved their activities to Arbourthorne. There are approx. 20 youths currently being targetted by police and youth workers as a serious threat to residents and property in the area. The main areas in which I know for sure they are active are Edenhall Road, which has been practically under seige for a while now, and the pond and rec (Eastern Ave, Northern Ave, Cradock Rd) areas.

Saying that, I have never (knock on wood) been threatened in Norfolk Park, Arbourthorne, or Manor (Sharrow, on the other hand, was a problem, but that's another story). I work with the community, and I can tell you that the community groups there are strong and friendly and determined to make things better.

So: best of luck, and I hope it works out for you. Don't forget to get involved in the improvements to the pond and rec :D

Originally posted by MarkB

Thanks,Yes, My back yard actually faces on to the field where the pond is, a little further up though. Looks nice enough to me . there are always people fishing.

Not seen any trouble as yet.

Don't want to scare you, but just to remind you to keep your wits about you:

Just got off the phone with some community members. One of them had a brick thrown at him while he was on the pond last week. It hit him square on the head, and he's still suffering the consequences. It wasn't an accident.

I've just spent a good half hour reminding them why they bother to keep going with local improvements. Sometimes we all need reminding.:?

Also, just be aware that that top field is a top destination for car BBQs :roll:

BTW if you'd like to get involved in improving your local greenspaces, please PM senseofplace and we'll tell you all about how you can help.:lol:

I actually live in the Heeley/Olive grove area and as a 16 year old you probably won't take what i have to say very seriously. Sometimes i get quite scared going aout at night because of other teenagers hanging around and im not into that sort of thing, i go to the aircadets to keep me occupied on a wednesday and friday night. Some nights its fine like wen its raining but in the summer more people choose to hang around the streets. I live opposite a 3 story block of flats and recently the council have moved in a pair of drug takers and an alcoholic, this means the police are around every so often. But all in all the heeley/olive grove area is a nice small community that is quite close together, everybody says hi and gets on well. The area is definetly up and coming because terraced houses on spur street, delf street etc are selling at quite a high price like those in hillsborough. It has a good bus service into town and it only take 5mins so its great for getting around. Could i plaese ask you Mark B, which road are u planning to move to? then i could tell u about it. Thanks alot and i hope it all goes well for you!:D

Originally posted by 367squadron

I actually live in the Heeley/Olive grove area and as a 16 year old you probably won't take what i have to say very seriously.

Being 16 doesn't disqualify you from having a valid point of view. :P

Keep letting people know what you think:D

Archived