Ham & Pease Pudding

When I was young nipper, and used to visit my Gran in Geordie-land/up-north/county durham she used to make a well known local dish called Ham & Pease Pudding.

It was fantastic hot or cold, had a great mild taste, and for all I have managed to find recipe on the net its quite a fiddly thing to make (when I have such little time on my hands).

I have been looking round to see if any shops in South Yorkshire sell it, but haven't found anything yet. So does anyone know if it is on sale round here?

Cheers.

Hi personal - a lot of my relatives are from Newcastle and I absolutely love ham & pease pudding......even better on a stottie cake:love:

I have seen can of pease pudding in the supermarket, but have never bought one as I imagine it would be rank.

On the odd occassion I really, really fancy some; I just make my own these days.......nice ham shank and a packet of split yellow peas and you are good to go.

Ahhhhh, pease pudding!

Hi personal - a lot of my relatives are from Newcastle and I absolutely love ham & pease pudding......even better on a stottie cake:love:

I have seen can of pease pudding in the supermarket, but have never bought one as I imagine it would be rank.

On the odd occassion I really, really fancy some; I just make my own these days.......nice ham shank and a packet of split yellow peas and you are good to go.

Ahhhhh, pease pudding!

Go on then, give us the recipe!

Needed - ham shank, split yellow peas, salt & pepper.

Boil off the ham shank....keep the stock.

Start with about 2 litres of the stock for every 475 grams of split peas, bring to boil and add your split peas to this.

You may need to soak your split peas beforehand depending on the brand.

Add seasoning.

Reduce and simmer gently for ages and ages whilst stirring occassionaly - be careful not to burn the mixture at the bottom.

The mixture will gradually thicken as the peas break down.....use your judgement and your personal preference as to how 'lumpy' you like your pease pudding.

The consistiency of 'thick custard' is a decent reference point.

Will take 1.5 - 2 hours of simmering.

Keep a bit of stock behind, in case it gets too thick.

Some people like to add little chunks of the ham to the mix.

Enjoy:cool:

ETA - Bouillon do an excellent ham stock if you can't be bothered to boil off the ham shank. But you will of course need the ham for the ham & pease pudding sarnie.

Go on then, give us the recipe!

225g (8oz) Dried Split Peas

900ml (1½ pints) Beef Stock (optional)

300 ml (½ pint) Water or Vegetable Stock

1 small Onion

1 Bouquet Garni

1 Egg

Salt & Black Pepper

Soak the peas as instructed.

Drain the peas and place in a pan with the halved onion, bouquet garni and 300 ml (1/2 pint) of water or vegetable stock.

Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for approx. an hour or until tender.

Stir occasionally, adding extra boiling water or stock as required.

Blend the peas to produce a smooth puree, add the beaten egg and season.

The puree should resemble a thick paste.

Either place the puree into a greased and floured pudding cloth, tie it securely and boil in the beef stock for 1 hour.

Alternatively, place in a shallow, greased ovenproof dish, level the surface and bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C; 350°F: Gas 4 for 30 m

That is an interesting recepie davy......but the only thing in there that my nan used is the split peas......she was born and bred Newcastle.

She'd have probably been beaten up for suggesting boquet garni :hihi:

Never heard of cooking the paste again.....you suggest cooking it in beef stock or baking it. That is totally new on me.

To me, the paste is either eaten warm with the ham alongside a salad.

Or left to cool to be used for sandwiches.

I'm Northumbrian and was brought up on ham and pease pudding stotties. Great fodder. Also a favourite on New Years day as well.

When I'm back home I still get me mam to make me sausage and pease pudding stotties on a Sat/Sun morning.....best hangover cure in the world.

Only time I see pease pudding here is in a tin... it's ok (ish). Back home you would buy it from the butchers. Great stuff.

Archived