Should i cut the ivy on a large tree?

hi

this is my first post in this forum so if i am doing anything wrong i am sure the regulars will draw it to my attention :-)

in my garden there is a large tree about three storeys high and it has evergreen ivy growing all the way up it. some of the stems are over 3 inches in diameter

you can see similar in the woods opposite millhouses park.

this never used to bother me but i saw similar in totley just before fleur de lys pub and the ivy had all been cut through near the base and so had died.

should i leave it or cut it? i guess my main worry is it will strangle the tree and make it unsafe (don't want it falling on my house!) but if i cut it, it will look a mess as it dies and goes brown.

appreciate any input

thanks

I found this for you:

http://www.arborecology.co.uk/article_forf.htm

looks like they know what they are talking about :thumbsup:

just a snippet of it:

Ivy has a very bad reputation and it is commonly thought that it kills trees. Contrary to popular belief, ivy is not parasitic and does not directly affect the health of the trees it climbs. Unlike true parasitic plants, (such as mistletoe, whose roots tap directly into the resources of the host plant) ivy has its feeding roots anchored in the ground and simply uses the tree as a support to get to where it wants to go. The masses of tiny, hair-like roots sprouting from the under surface of the stems, are simply designed to provide support and allow the plant to climb. Although these roots provide almost immovable adhesion to the rough surfaces of tree trunks and walls, they are not used for feeding, and at worst only penetrate the outermost layer of bark on host trees.

It is primarily in terms of competition for natural resources that ivy affects the health of trees, particularly where light is concerned. If ivy has become established on a tree, it is more likely to be a sign of stress than a cause of it. A heavy infestation of ivy, particularly in the upper crown, is usually an indication that the tree is in a natural state of decline; most healthy crowns will let insufficient light through for the ivy to grow vigorously. Ash, Fraxinus excelsior, is an exception as the crown tends to be thin and open. This allows major infestations to occur, thereby restricting photosynthesis, but it is still unlikely that the life of a healthy tree will be shortened. In the case of a diseased or dying tree, where the it’s growth rate and vigour may be slow or in decline, the ivy’s more vigorous growth allow it to smother the tree. The bushy adult growth will then have a tendency to make the tree top heavy, making it more likely to fall, particularly during adverse weather conditions.

One of the most important aspects when contemplating the removal of ivy from a mature tree, is its enormous wildlife value. The dense mass of foliage and intertwining stems around the trunks of trees, provide shelter for birds to build their nests, and dark nooks and crannies where bats can roost through the day. In Autumn, ivy flowers are an important source of pollen and nectar for wasps, butterflies, bees and a hose of fly species. Over winter, ivy protects woodland soils from full snow cover and frost. This enables ground foraging birds such as blackbirds, robins, dunnocks and thrushes to continue feeding;. while a sheltered habitat is also provided for small mammals and insects.

Archived