The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

I really do feel for all of you that have suffered side effects. I've been so very lucky in not suffering any at all. I suppose the strange calmness that I feel must be a side effect but it's a very welcome one.

I don't know if my lovely/sometimes weird dreams are champix driven because I've allways been a vivid dreamer anyhow.

So......I am now entering day 18 of being smoke free and day 31 since starting out on the champix journey. As mentioned before, I feel calm for most of the time. I feel as if I've accepted that I won't be smoking again though I still don't quite believe it. I am resigned to the fact but that still doesn't stop the odd desperate feeling that I NEED a fag, from cropping up. Nonsense of course and thankfully my brain soon accepts that. I could so easily give in as well because I have quite a few packets upstairs in my wardrobe. Various friends have offered to buy these fags off me at a discounted price (cheapskates and opportunists!) but I won't sell them until I'm fully convinced that I am no longer a smoker. I suppose it's a bit like a test for me and I feel really good to have passed it. If that lifeline was removed then I might start behaving like a desperado and that wouldn't do would it? lol In all honesty though I haven't been tempted by them so far........well I have once or twice but I soon abolished such filthy idea's from my head. :D

So far so good then.....and long may it continue. I actually think that as each day goes along I am actually thinking less and less about the vile weed. I still have my electronic ciggy but I don't use it very often. A very good substitute for habit replacement though......you get the feel and the "smoke" which is actually vapour, and nicotene isn't involved at all. I find it quite nice and it does help.

I actually eat brekky now.......only a very small bowl of cornflakes and I only eat them because of the champix. No doubt they do me some good but I've only ever eaten brekky before when I was a child, when I was pregnant or when we'd paid for bed and breakfast. lol.

So, besides stopping smoking I am also eating healthier by having some daily cereal. My body is now nicotene/carbon dioxide etc, free. My house smells much sweeter and I don't have a stinky ashtray to wash up.

What other benefits are there??? Oh yeh.....all that dosh and a longer life expectancy. One day, 16 hours and 50 minutes so far, according to a quit clock. That will be very welcome just as long as I'm able bodied and not relying on somebody to wipe my posterior and clear the dribble from my face. ;)

Keep up the good work quitters.......I fully intend to and this forum will certainly help us all in sharing our highs and lows. x

You really are getting there Rothchild!!! We all seem to be on a similar road. My quit app says 20 days 23 hours and a saving of £96.37. Great motivator. On half dose morning n night now and will see if side effects are lessened. Keep up the good fight.

:help::help:

Im on day 16 and still averaging 6 tabs a day, i have more than halfed what id normally smoke. think im just going to try stopping on monday.

great thread by the way:thumbsup:

:help::help:

Im on day 16 and still averaging 6 tabs a day, i have more than halfed what id normally smoke. think im just going to try stopping on monday.

great thread by the way:thumbsup:

Hang on in there and go for it. It may still come naturally as you have cut down dramatically. Good luck, you can do it if you want to :thumbsup:. Tomorrow even????

Hang on in there and go for it. It may still come naturally as you have cut down dramatically. Good luck, you can do it if you want to :thumbsup:. Tomorrow even????

Im hoping it does, not enjoying smoking really, just think im doing it out of habit really. another thing thats hindering me i think is for the next 3 weeks ive got odd night shifts popping up so its just best time to take the tablets really. :)

Hi All!!!

I was posting on here a few months ago when I first quit with Champix. It seems all my quit buddies have disappeared, I hope they're all doing well.

Champix did the trick with me. I did the full 12 weeks course with the ususal side effects, got to a whole 4 months smoke free!!!! Then I cocked up big time!!! Went on a family holiday to Portugal, had a stressful journey from the airport to the villa, thought a couple of the sister in laws fags wouldn't do any harm, blah blah blah. Spent the whole week smoking!!!

Soon as I got back I went straight to the doctors and fortunately my doctor gave me a second chance. I quit on Monday, it really wasn't difficult, the tabs kicked in pretty quick and just made me realise what I wasn't missing. Its certainly made me think twice about the next time I get tempted.

Anyway, good luck to you all!!! You can do this!!!

xgx

Inger - I must say I have considered dropping my morning dose but am worried that its a bit early to risk cravings! Have already dropped my evening dose due to nausea. I'll persist for a bit longer and see how things go. Hopefully one day I'll be able to say I have been smoke free as long as you.

Hi Co co

You may have seen that I have dropped both morning and evening doses as the side effects got worse, hypertension and palpitations are the latest. OK so far. Doctor suggested it.

I will let you know how it goes. Hope things ease for you soon.

Edited by stoman

Hi all you new quitters, last fag on 12/11/10 Keep it up its well worth it. Remember to reduce your dose of champix towards the end from 2 a day down to 1 and then 1/2 if needed,(or until you start to forget to take the pills) this was advice given pages and pages ago and works.

The thoughts and urges of having a smoke remain, but in short flashes, in my case i don't dislike the smell of someone having a fag(sometimes it helps) but I can't stand that stale smell that hangs to the clothes and follows the smoker around, you know, that smell that when you smoked you thought that a mint or a piece of gum would hide,if only we new then what we know now. 30 odd years i smoked so if i can do it so can you. best of luck to all you newbies and keep up the good work you oldies.

So where are you "oldshirty", "Karen", "Soozie"(our ossie friend) and others??????????

Edited by sittingbull

Hi All

Good luck to all, my update day 52 on champs, 26 days non smoker.

Reading some of the posts so far makes me feel somwat lucky. My side effects are just limited to tiredness, only had one episode a couple of weeks ago where i thought about cigs for most of the day but got through it ok. As i mentioned before my quit date happened by accident on day 14 when i got to tea time an realised i hadn't smoked all day so really don't pressure yourself about setting a quit date it will come anyhow. As a gym user anyhow not sure about this one cause my weight has gone up quite abit per week, so that could be down to (A) eating more which i am (b) some users have reported weight gain with champs or © bodies finally getting proper benefits from the food i eat.

And another side effect i forgot........farting alot :hihi:

So all in all i feel alot better, maybe 2 or 3 times a day i think about a cig but easily brush it aside, bear in mind at work i use to smoke a cig every hour and now i find the day goes abit quicker. Start 3rd pack of champs on Monday.

anyhow like before good luck to all :thumbsup:

Hi ya all

Still a non smoker on the lower dose of 0.5 mg Champix now and more determined than ever.

Off sick with a perforated and infected eardrum - feeling very poorly (probably smoke related)!!!! This happened last time I stopped smoking last year for 3 months. iphone app says 24 days with a saving of £113.05 so far.

Hope everyone is still determined out there!!!

stoman

Hi Sittingbull and Everyone,

I was just like you Sittingbull. I thought I loved the smell of smoke until just recently when I smelt it and it was so bad. I'm not around smoke that much so I could not believe that it smelt so bad. I am very lucky not to have to deal with that very much. I still come on every once and a while just for old times sake. I have been a non smoker for 1 year and 3 months. I have found that after one year everything starts to get better and easier. It seems that my body took that long to get use to not smoking. I'm still trying to lose weight, but only have seven pounds to go. I am getting there. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying being a non smoker.

Hi All

Just dropped in to see how things were going, glad to see there are so many new quitters on here (as well as a couple of the oldies ).

I am now on week 36 of no cigarettes and feeling great still, so much healthier ( haven't noticed any wealthier really despite smoking 20 -30 a day ) and my gorgeous grandson who is the reason I gave up is 6 months old tomorrow and I actually pushed his buggy from the bottom of a huge hill to the top wihout gasping for breath last week, I was so proud of myself. Still doing SW and despite a few blips its not too bad.

My doctor prescribed Champix to me without any necessity for counselling etc and gave me repeat prescriptions without seeing me, stopped taking them in the middle of the 3rd month and not had a cigarette or craving since.

For those of you who are struggling or concerned about not making it I really can't put into words how amazing it is not to be addicted to nicotine and the sense of wellbeing ( ok and smugness occasionally ) that comes from being a non smoker.

Good luck to you all from someone who took their first Champix saying ' look I love smoking and don't really want to stop but I'll give it a go ' and now is sooooooooooooo grateful that she did x

Im hoping it does, not enjoying smoking really, just think im doing it out of habit really. another thing thats hindering me i think is for the next 3 weeks ive got odd night shifts popping up so its just best time to take the tablets really. :)

Am I pleased you said that, cos I am on day 16 and still having one or two out of habit although it is considerably less than the 30 a day habit that I had.....had three today as had bad day at work, need to grab the bull by the horns and go for it.........