Sheffield election results thread (Result: No Overall Control)

Percent turnout:

Broomhill 26.1

Manor Castle 27.7

Southey 29.0

Arbourthorne 29.6

East Ecclesfield 29.9

Firth Park 30.0

Central 31.0

Shiregreen & Brightside 31.0

Beighton 31.4

Richmond 32.0

Woodhouse 32.8

Birley 34.0

Darnall 34.0

Mosborough 34.0

West Ecclesfield 35.2

Stocksbridge & Upper Don 36.4

Burngreave 36.6

Walkley 38.6

Beauchief & Greenhill 39.0

Crookes 39.0

Gleadless Valley 40.0

Nether Edge 40.0

Graves Park 40.2

Stannington 40.4

Hillsborough 41.4

Ecclesall 45.0

Fulwood 46.0

Dore & Totley 53.0

Broomhill is the obvious odd one out. It's quite affluent and decent standard of education so you would expect a higher turnout.

I suppose the large student population didn't vote.

May I thank the many forum members who have posted on this thread, or sent me Private Messages, or have rung me at home or emailed me with their congratulations on my re-election as a councillor. Thank you.

Red

so pleased for you, Red..

oh, and welcome back, chuck.. I'm so glad to see you here once again. you've been missed ! :wave:

XX PT XX

so pleased for you, Red..

oh, and welcome back, chuck.. I'm so glad to see you here once again. you've been missed ! :wave:

XX PT XX

Thank you PT.

jgharston has provided a useful thread with the results expressed in percentages of votes obtained by each candidate in every ward.

I was pleasently surprised to see that I'd personally obtained 55.8% of the vote in my own ward - the second highest for a Labour candidate in these elections. I've also increased my majority in each of the three elections I've now fought.

My pleasure at my own result, which was the first to be declared, was tinged with sadness at the loss of my own ward councillor by a mere 51 votes.

This time last year I posted this:

"Cllr Hill didn't just 'hold off' the Tories in Totley & Dore, but went from a narrow third to far-ahead 1st. Waters will be out next year; as will Hardstaff in Walkley. That's one of the two Lab seats the LIbDems need to gain; it looks like Hillsbro and Gleadless will make Sheffield NOC in 2007."

So now my prediction for 2008:

Greens will take the Labour seat in Central

LibDems will gain another two seats in Hillsbro & Gleadless

Smith will retain D&T to keep a Tory presence on the council and...

that'll make the council LD 41 Lab 38 G 3 C 1. Still NOC...

But if the tories do lose D&T.... or maybe the LDs should target Mosborough (42% Lab, 34% LD; and 15% Con to squeeze)?

Sadly I'm leaving Sheffield soon and am off to Plymouth, which is a much less interesting place politically from my point of view.

This time last year I posted this:

So now my prediction for 2008:

Greens will take the Labour seat in Central

LibDems will gain another two seats in Hillsbro & Gleadless

Smith will retain D&T to keep a Tory presence on the council and...

that'll make the council LD 41 Lab 38 G 3 C 1. Still NOC...

But if the tories do lose D&T.... or maybe the LDs should target Mosborough (42% Lab, 34% LD; and 15% Con to squeeze)?

Sadly I'm leaving Sheffield soon and am off to Plymouth, which is a much less interesting place politically from my point of view.

You've missed mentioning the Independent who represents Stocksbridge & Upper Don ward - who's also up for re-election next year. Any predictions on his fate jonmay?

I thought the result in Plymouth was very interesting. Unfortunate in that the tories took control from Labour but in so doing they swept the last 2 l-ds into oblivion. A sort of sweetening of the pill for Labour in Plymouth.

I thought the result in Plymouth was very interesting.

The recent naval humiliation won't have gone down well with voters there.

jgharston has provided a useful thread with the results expressed in percentages of votes obtained by each candidate in every ward.

http://mdfs.net/Docs/Sheffield/Election/2007 now updated with a map of Sheffield showing which party has councillors in each ward.

Well done dad, top achievement - and duely deserved. :thumbsup:

Congratulations my friend

but can you tell me why only 2 of the candidates in Arbourthorne ward were from the sheffield 2 area?

see you soon

Congratulations my friend

but can you tell me why only 2 of the candidates in Arbourthorne ward were from the sheffield 2 area?

see you soon

The Labour and Green candidates both live in the S2 area. I do not know why the Lib-Dems and the Conservatives fielded candidates who live elsewhere in the city.

A candidate can actually live anywhere within Sheffield, and it's not unusual for any of the political parties to select a candidate who doesn't actually live in the ward they want to represent.

I don't now live in my own ward any longer! But that's only because the ward boundaries changed in 2004. I still live in the same house on the same road - but the ward boundary now runs down the middle of my road, and I now find I live in the Gleadless Valley ward!

Just checking in to see how you all got on, feel an ongoing sense of responsibility for your results.

I think ward boundary changes have a lot to blame for the results.

Veronica and Alf and Rosemary were and are stalwarts, loyal to their electorate and loyal to their party.

I am sorrowful at their loss and refuse to believe that Veronica would even know how to be rude to a living soul, can only imagine it was a communication breakdown

Chins up Labour comrades, regroup and press on.

Here in Liverpool Labour took five seats, all women as it happened, no all women shortlists, just natural selection.

I am not bragging, just adding support and best wishes, you turned it round before you can turn it round again, despite the new boundaries, just get out there and MEET THE VOTERS, you have 12 months to get this sad situation back on track

xxxx