Giant new Tesco on Spital Hill / Saville Street.

during a fire, you should use the nearest fire exit, not the main entrance/exit.

hundreds of people have died queuing to get out of burning buildings at the front doors, ignoring fire exits elsewhere.

Just a thought, but in the event of a fire, why would you want to take your trolley with you? And surely you can walk up/down an escalator whether it works or not.

it was blocked off with stacks off sh-t

i dont think the fire exits are locked somehow...

what was on them that looked like a lock?

push and try they were locked go and try for yourself

it was blocked off with stacks off sh-t

That's to stop the dumb****s who want to take their trolleys out with them in a fire blocking it, as the trolleys jam!

Natural Selection! Every Little Helps!!

Many fire doors are magnetically locked and are automatically unlocked and opened when the alarm is activated. Maybe they are these kind of doors.

bin shopping there today for the first time will not be going again saftey is an after thought if god forbid there was a fire on the upper floor youve had it your toast the downward escalator was not working and the emergency exits were locked so your only way back down was a lift with your trolley you would only get two trolleys and two people max this is not on can somebody who maybe works for hse investigate or have they already given it a green flag to say its safe because its not its a death trap

Let me get this right.

There are three floors technically.

The lowest is the one that you enter on, if you've parked in the downstairs car park. If you can't get out of there, you've got issues.

The next up is the main one, where all the food is. If that catches fire, you get onto the travelators and walk down them. Or you go up the steps to the top exit.

Top floor - all the housey stuff - you walk out towards the tills, which lead past the coffee shops and out onto Spital Hill. If that way is blocked, you head down the travelator, and out you go.

If, when there's a fire, your main concern is the shopping in your trolley (which by the way, unless you've paid for it, isn't yours) you need to re-evaluate what's important I suggest.

The store is as safe as any other big supermarket.

try again after you have set the alarm off

Many fire doors are magnetically locked and are automatically unlocked and opened when the alarm is activated. Maybe they are these kind of doors.

they are, they are also fail-safe, its to do with the sort of customers they get who want to liberate goods.

Tesco are internally audited and their fire exits checked weekly for operation.

having been in a tesco during a fire, i can tell you that they are all trained very well, and the safety systems work well too.

You were shopping for a bin?

That's to stop the dumb****s who want to take their trolleys out with them in a fire blocking it, as the trolleys jam!

Natural Selection! Every Little Helps!!

i did not have a trolley i went with my wife to have a look my oppinion was its unsafe if you have got young children dont go

Let me get this right.

There are three floors technically.

The lowest is the one that you enter on, if you've parked in the downstairs car park. If you can't get out of there, you've got issues.

The next up is the main one, where all the food is. If that catches fire, you get onto the travelators and walk down them. Or you go up the steps to the top exit.

Top floor - all the housey stuff - you walk out towards the tills, which lead past the coffee shops and out onto Spital Hill. If that way is blocked, you head down the travelator, and out you go.

If, when there's a fire, your main concern is the shopping in your trolley (which by the way, unless you've paid for it, isn't yours) you need to re-evaluate what's important I suggest.

The store is as safe as any other big supermarket.

no its not thats your oppinion and your wrong

Edited by abjo441
and the downward belt was out of order

they are, they are also fail-safe, its to do with the sort of customers they get who want to liberate goods.

Tesco are internally audited and their fire exits checked weekly for operation.

having been in a tesco during a fire, i can tell you that they are all trained very well, and the safety systems work well too.

yeah they do even in a none fire situation you cant get out so thats ok aint it