MISSION - Richmond Park Redevelopment!

Would you sign petiton / help?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign petiton / help?

• Sign and Help
    • Sign Only
    • Help Only
    • Neither

Richmond park is a largeish park in the South East of Sheffield.

It has a bowling green (fenced), tennis court (fenced), a grassy area for the football pitch, above is a grassy area seperated by bushes which is fairly large and used mainly by dog walkers etc. (there is a small bike track)

there is a large grassy area below the (old) tennis courts, and it then becomes city school field at the fence/bushes. A stream runs towards city school inbetween another grassy area between some flats on stradbroke road.

It has a paved area with metal swings (minus the swings).

I hereby give th SF public of Sheffield a mission to redevelop this park

WE SHALL petition the council for funding:

We want litter bins, dog litter bins, swings, slide, roundabouts, a seesaw, a brick built building for people playing sports in the park to change and receive refreshments, a cricket pitch, park wardens, cctv, a yearly bonfire, reinstatement of the tennis courts, possible introduction of allotmentsand a skatepark and anything else the we the public can think of which will beneficial to the community!

We want fire resistant swings (metal ones), we want our kids a nice place to go, we want our park back and we want it for the community.

In the coming weeks a petition shall be set up, we need people who agree to sign the petition and to put it about for people to sign.

It will be placed in local shops/supermarkets, nearby libraries, local pubs, local places of worship, local schools, hospitals, door to door in the local area.

We will need people to work in the park, volunteers will be highly welcome.

Post your idea here and try to make suggestions come with vandal resitance, eg. cctv and park wardens for security, welded on metal swings (arson and theft resitant). We pay our taxes and want something positive back.

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!

Well yeah, it'd be nice if this park was done up.

Have you read this thread?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=166957

It would appear that a "Friends Group" has been set up.

Are you in touch with them?

The thread relates to a rumour which is thankfully (a rumour), lets hope the council would not neglect this park in order to sell it off for profit.

I would not like to imagine this parkland becoming residential land but in all fairness it is being neglected to a state where it could be sold with less resistance from the public.

This highlights the fact that we should demand redevelopment of this park and help if possible to make it into a nice place to be for us and future generations.

Today i have picked up a carrier bagful of rubbish from the park and disposed of it.

Most residents in the area will have a black bin collection tonight, if any residents reading have spare carrier bags they are likely to pop in the bin, save them to use to collect any strewn rubbish in the park tomorrow if you can and you can pop it in your empty bin :thumbsup: Every little helps!

cgk, i believe you live near the park would you help me tomorrow if i bring a few carriers?

In Reply To Mary 123:

There is a meeting of the:

Friends of Richmond Park this Tues 17th April at St Catherine's Church Hall at 7pm. You are most welcome to attend.

We have undertaken an Audit of Richmond Park in order to produce an Action Plan for the Park. This will be discussed at our meeting. All are most welcome to come along. The aim of "Friends of Richmond Park " is to totally regenerate the Park for All..

"regeneration" of the kind described by Mary 123 requires money. Something that Sheffield City Council claims to be short of.

'Demanding' such things may well provide justification for selling off some of the site to fund 'improvements'.

It may well be important for 'friends' to clarify whether or not land disposal to pay for such things is acceptable or not.

If it is not acceptable, I would recommend stating something to this effect in any petition for 'improvements'.

"regeneration" of the kind described by Mary 123 requires money. Something that Sheffield City Council claims to be short of.

'Demanding' such things may well provide justification for selling off some of the site to fund 'improvements'.

It may well be important for 'friends' to clarify whether or not land disposal to pay for such things is acceptable or not.

If it is not acceptable, I would recommend stating something to this effect in any petition for 'improvements'.

we don't want the park to improve in an instant, we want jobs funded by the council through council tax which we pay.

Without money us local residents can clear plenty of litter, with a £100 or so we could have swings for children again.

the tennis courts wouldn't cost much to reopen.

Would you dontae a bit of time cgk, if they was a bacon sarnie in it for you

Good luck with the new Friends group. There are plenty of other Park Friends groups throughout the city if you want some advice etc.

How about a fishing lake? The bottom of the park always seems wet when I've been there. It could generate income from day tickets and maybe provide a part time job for a local person?

Well yeah, it'd be nice if this park was done up.

yeah it would be nice for a month or 2 untill it's vandalised like EVERY other NEW park made, what a watse of money

yeah it would be nice for a month or 2 untill it's vandalised like EVERY other NEW park made, what a watse of money

obviously you don't have any worthwhile ideas, so i ask you to refrain from contributing from this thread.

i am currently quite upset at the interest shown to this park redevelopment, i know this park like may others has suffered from fire loving vandals, hence the need for the park to have metal swings rather than plastic based ones

Mary,

if the council dont have the money there is other sources the lottery give to things like this and so do children in need. it was done a few years ago on the scowerdons estate it was fantastic, they send you the forms and your group can apply but you need to be set up right with a chair sec and tresurer, contact your local tenants and residents association, they could help you no end.

i can see how it easy for some to be dispondent but use this to make you more focused to succeed.