Want another gay bar in Sheffield?

ella.f

Hi, I'm new to this forum and would really like input and opinions on possible new gay bar opeing in Sheffield.

I've been a regular scene visitor since the early nineties but inclined to agreed with posts on the dempseys thread that as 1 bar opens another closes it's doors. Quite sad really as Sheffield is surely a large enough city to be able to host more than just 1 bar/club.

Anyone who reads this please take a few mins to post your opinions/advice on the following:

What do you want from a gay bar?

is it time for another bar (not club) as pre drink bar to fuel?

do you think the reason people go to nearby cities is the consistency in sheffield is so poor?

Climax is on once a month, is this enough? Maybe another large venue could hold another once monthly gay night (obviously different night to climax)

Anyone remember Poptasic? i used to love it there, what happened?

How would a themed bar be recieved. eg. Speed dating, theme nights, comedy nights, singers etc?

Thanks for all your views, at the moment they're greatly needed!

I just want something unique and trendy where i can go after work or at dinner time to chill with friends.

Some people may disagree but i think Queens Court and Bar Fibre are unique to have that great court yard for the parties etc which i think are excellent. That sort of atmosphere is what i'd love to experience here in Sheffield.

I'd like somewhere that is run by professionals and are so in their approach and somewhere that serves food by a chef. Some how the thought of gays cooking my food is a bit off putting to me and my friends (obviously we wouldn't mind if the place was professionally run).

I don't think the gay population in Sheffield is small i just think they are sick of being let down and save money for other places such as Manc and Le*ds.

that's my opinion anyway. Good luck with what ever you are planning!

I have been going out on the scene in Sheffield since 1985 and have seen gay venues come and go. The best venues the city ever had were The Albert and Caverlers and the Harlequin Disco on Thursday nights in the club that was/is ??? Niche (next door to Fuel).

For me the most important things for a good GAY venue are:

GAY safe. GAY customers come first. Positive GAY images.

A friendly, fun place for ALL age ranges.

Good prices, good food.

Caberet. Singers, drag acts.

No attitude.

Support the local GAY community, fundraisers etc.

Controversial I know but I want a venue where I celebrate being a GAY man, feel safe about it and not be out-numbered by straights.

Good luck.

GAY safe. GAY customers come first. Positive GAY images.

A friendly, fun place for ALL age ranges.

Good prices, good food.

Caberet. Singers, drag acts.

No attitude.

Support the local GAY community, fundraisers etc.

Personally i wouldn't want Caberet and drag acts. It just make places feel tacky and to be honest it's so last year.

Personally i wouldn't want Caberet and drag acts. It just make places feel tacky and to be honest it's so last year.

I wouldn't want them all the time but a really good drag act can make a fun night out. The gay scene these days has lost it appitite for FUN, too much attitude, hangups about fashion and labels and is the DJ playing the latest hip hop tunes that are being played in straight clubs. It's good to have the odd bit of camp nonsense and everyone just have a laugh. When myself and a group of friends get together we spend the whole night laughing and don't worry about image, we just enjoy each others company and have a camp old time.

I find cabaret pulls in the people, look at Dempseys, they do this nearly once a month and the place gets packed. Then Fuel did this on Mondays and that used to get packed as well.

What do you want from a gay bar?

If I was to open a gay bar then it would be something along the lines of what we have but merge them all-together

a pub where there is a beer garden to sit out in the summer, a bar which isnt too small, a couple of pool tables, music in the background, so you are able to chat, nice friendly bar staff, but a mixture of young and old, all we get are young bar staff, quiz night with decent prizes, and why not a bingo night, it would go down well with the queens, decently priced drinks, I am sick of gay places ripping customers off with overpriced drinks, food menu.

How would a themed bar be recieved. eg. Speed dating, theme nights, comedy nights, singers etc?

I cannot see speed dating working with gay people, once a week comedy night would be good, no other bar does it.

A proper pub that is open all day. No pretentiousness.

Drag DJs and cabaret in the evening and weekend afternoons. Unnecessary campness. Cheap booze.

Somwewhere along the lines of Flying Handbag / Mardi Gras in Blackpool.

Sheffield definately needs a radical scene shake up!

I'm currently over in Dublin for a year... well my year actually is almost done... and the scene over here is so much better - and the reason is because it is run properly and caters for everyone. And before people start shouting off that Dublin is a huge city and therefore should be better... it actually only has around 5 gay venues, and a few special nights.

The bars are great - not dingy and dirty.. and the club (The George) - whilst not being the smartest of venues, has some of the best nights. Sunday nights are always packed for bingo and drag, which I hated when I first came here - but now I love it.

Sheffield needs to take a look at other places and take note... because really we have nothing to offer.

All these threads have said the same thing, we are in desperate need of a "gay scene", we don't have one. We cannot compete with the likes of Black'pl, Le*ds and Manch. I for one love drag, which may be surprising being a lesbian, but so does my partner and my mates. I also think it would be great if the lesbians and gay men did more together like our crowd do. There still appears to be so much segregation between lesbians and gays.

Let's get into the 21st century and give all the other major cities a run for their money!!