WW1 Sheffield men

Dean1,

I am getting together information for 3 family members who where soldiers in WW1 for addition to the Sheffield Soldiers site when I have it sorted.

I understand one of them is mentioned as 'Also Served' on a memorial in St Georges church which is now part of the University. Have you any suggestions as to how I might go about getting access?

Hi Kondike Kid, look forward to the details.

Re St George's, I just walked in ! They have lectures most morning's so the front door is always open. Saying that as you do walk in and turn to the left there is a telephone for enquiries re the Church. I have images of the memorials in there if you need any.

Dean.

Hi Kondike Kid, look forward to the details.

Re St George's, I just walked in ! They have lectures most morning's so the front door is always open. Saying that as you do walk in and turn to the left there is a telephone for enquiries re the Church. I have images of the memorials in there if you need any.

Dean.

Seems simple enough :)

I would appreciate the images if you don't mind. I will PM my e-mail address.

Re the sheffield soldiers info does it matter if the soldier concerned was not born but lived in Sheffield as his family settled here around 1877?

Hi Klondike, yeah, no problem not born in Sheffield. Domiciled/worked etc will do.

regards

Dean.

Hi Dean

Just joined the forum and came across your thread. You probably have this info but just in case:

Private Christopher James, Service No. 36375, served with 10th battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Died 12 June 1917. Buried in Plot3, Row E, Grave 8 in Messines Ridge British Cemetery, Belgium.

Christopher was my wife's uncle. We visited the grave a number of years ago. We would like to pass on our thanks to the War Graves Commission who have kept the cemetery so beatifully.

Hope this helps. BTW we do have the large commemorative 'medal' for Christopher (death penny?).

regards

Rod

Hi Rod, yes i have Christopher on the data base, his name appears in the 'Official Sheffield Council Roll of Honour' of the day, this is in book form, a copy of which is at Sheffield's Local Studies Library. I'm about to type up the I,J and K's so he will appear on the site in the next up load.

regards

Dean.

Yes, Death Penny.

Hi Rod, yes i have Christopher on the data base, his name appears in the 'Official Sheffield Council Roll of Honour' of the day, this is in book form, a copy of which is at Sheffield's Local Studies Library. I'm about to type up the I,J and K's so he will appear on the site in the next up load.

regards

Dean.

Yes, Death Penny.

Lance Corporal Charles Womersley (my Grandads cousin)

Killed in action 26/10/17 aged 33 years

Buried in Roclincourt Military Cemetery France.

Prior to WW1 he was a postman living at Grenoside.

Got him Daven, name on St Marks and the war memorial at Grenoside.

regards

Dean.

Got him Daven, name on St Marks and the war memorial at Grenoside.

regards

Dean.

Have you heard the story of how in December 1916 , Charles Womersley cheated death when a piece of shrapnel hit his pocket watch and he survived.

I have a copy of the local newspaper report telling the story and a photograph of him

Daven i have this in his file,

image of him and his original wooden cross (Greno Hero's) also an image of the family headstone bearing his name at Ecclesfield cemetery, if you have more that would be good, especially all the details of the 'pocket watch' incident.

regards

Dean.

Daven i have this in his file,

image of him and his original wooden cross (Greno Hero's) also an image of the family headstone bearing his name at Ecclesfield cemetery, if you have more that would be good, especially all the details of the 'pocket watch' incident.

regards

Dean.

The newspaper article is dated Saturday 23rd December 1916 and reads -

Grenoside

WATCH SAVES LIFE

'There is little doubt but that Lce Corpl C Womersley.Y and L, eldest son of Mr Chas Womersley, Myrtle Villas, would recently have lost his life had it not been for the protection afforded him by his watch. A piece of shrapnel, about three-quarters of an inch long, penetrated the metal case of his watch, destroyed the works, but, fortunately, did not further harm him. The piece of shrapnel was found in his waistcoat pocket. It is worthy of remark that Lce Corpl Womersley was presented by his wife a wristlet watch, but this proving to be an unreliable timekeeper was disposed of, and the other, which has proved such a faithful friend, substituted. For many years Lce Corpl Womersley rendered excellent service as our village postman.'

I also have a copy of a photograph of him on his wedding day and one of him as a young boy with his family if this is of any interest or use to you.

Edited by Daven

My great uncle also died in WW1.

His name was John Thomas Taylor, born in Dore 1893 and died 15th April 1918

He married my Nans sister, Amy Dinsdale, on 24th February 1915

If you have any more information about him I would be very interested.

Also, Johns brother, Edwin Andrew Taylor, born Dore 1897 and died 5th November 1918 (very nearly made it).

Edited by Daven