WW1 Sheffield men

My grandfather attempted to join up aged 15, thank God that his auntie told the recruiting sergeant where to shove his King's shilling. Is there a complete list of the fatalities, other than the names on the war memorials?

I remember talking to a lot of the guys who survived, they were only in their 60's when I was in my teens, I never met a bitter one, they just accepted what had happened to their mates, and could have happened to them. I just hope that none of my grandad's mates who did manage to join up under age were not shot at dawn, but having said that, most were killed on the Somme.

What a crap war.

There are searchable WW1 Service Records on sites such as Ancestry and Find My Past.

Is there a name you would like looking up?

My grandfather attempted to join up aged 15, thank God that his auntie told the recruiting sergeant where to shove his King's shilling. Is there a complete list of the fatalities, other than the names on the war memorials?

I remember talking to a lot of the guys who survived, they were only in their 60's when I was in my teens, I never met a bitter one, they just accepted what had happened to their mates, and could have happened to them. I just hope that none of my grandad's mates who did manage to join up under age were not shot at dawn, but having said that, most were killed on the Somme.

What a crap war.

My grandad lied about his age he was just 16. He was in the Royal Engineers in WW2 not sure what reg. in WW1. He was an absolute gentleman, but like a lot of old soldiers he never spoke about what he'd seen.

Not sure of what interest this is.

My Grandfather was a sergeant, 3/3844 in the Yorks and Lancs.

He was honourably discharged on 24th July 1916 at age 35. He lost his right arm to a sniper either in Ypres or Salonika. I have his discharge certificate and medals still. Recently I was given a photograph of him on uniform sometime in 1915 before he left for France, looking very smart and a young 34. I also have a picture of him with the family in 1923, a completely different man then looking an old 70 something. Who can really appreciate the horrors they all went through?

In the records there are several that will give you the D.O.D but say D.O.B unknown, how can that be ?

Hi Dean1

Great to see that this thread is still going and growing - don't ever give up one day you will find all the details. Through family history we understood that our maternal grandfather was lost at sea when his ship was torpedoed off the Dardenelles at Gallipoli in 1915 when our mother was 3 yrs old. The only thing we had of him was a battered old photograph and the WW1 plaque that was issued with his name on. A few years ago my brother spent months researching what actually happened to his ship and to our amazement he found out that our grandfather had survived the attack, been picked up by a hospital ship and transported to Alexandria in Egypt. Unfortunately, he sucombed to horrific wounds and died 6 weeks later. What was staggering was that there was a grave in the Commonwealth Cemetery in Alexandria, that none of the family had known about. In 2007 my brother and I made the pilgrimage, a sad occasion we paid our respects to a grandfather unknown. May he now RIP albeit 90 + yrs later. Never give up.

Hi Dean,I havent done this before so excuse any mistakes please. My grandfather was wounded in Ypres, I have some details but not to handhis name was Samuel Alonzo Cockshott.

Sincerely

Sally

Hi Sally, post the details you have on here when you have them. I see i have him on 'Sheffieldsoldier' as being on the Holy Trinity Firvale Roll of Honour as 'served', must be your grandfather. There's also an image of this Roll. I have a close up as well where you can see your grandfathers name.

Dean.

Thank you Dean, Ill dig it out next week on my return from Belgium we are going to Ypres as a part of a trip to Bruge. I went 15 years ago but didnt then know the connection. Quite looking forward to seeing it with diffirent eyes this time.

I have some photos of him recouperating I think in Sunderland. Also the brief note saying he had been wounded. He never spoke of it to anyone in the family and his sons didnt seem to know much if anything about it.

He returned to banking at the Midland bank and was in the Home guard in the second war.

Also looking at the other family members at that time who may have been there, Cockshott, Peel and Pearson were all local and I know there would have been others.

Sally

Edited by Banjaxed
forgot to add the other details

Hi Dean just found your thread My father was a volunteer in 1915 and I have a bit of history of his service time and his fight for a pension when discharged, after being gassed in 1916 .but is in a bit of a state.would gladly let you look if you could let me know where you are by p.m

Thank you Sally, i'll PM you my email addy and anything you want to copy and send would be good.

harmston, thank you too for the interest, i'll PM you too.

Dean.

Hi Dean

Will forward the details of my grandfather later this week so too with paternal grandfather, his only surviving son has the details so that info will follow as well.

Was there a Roll of Honour for the Park Area?