Tapton School, what happened?

goldenfleece

I attended Tapton School from 72 to 76.

Some of the teachers were great:

Physics - Mr Yates (made science very interesting)

Chemistry - Mr Pidd (pulled a face while shaking test tubes with his thumb placed firmly on the end... the boys would all start giggling)

French - Mrs Farrman (remember the Tesco incident)

Maths - Mrs Dingle

Drama - Mr Lamb

Art - Mr Harris (needed to see an orthodontist)

Metalwork - Mr Metcalfe

French - Mrs Metcalfe

Maths - Mr Fay

P.E. - Mr Sadler and Mr Gnatt

Mr Godbehere (don't remember what he taught, maths?)

Biology - Mr Rigby

Geograpy - Miss Welch

Some of 'em were not so great:

English - Mr Aspinal (useless, didn't teach me a damn thing)

TD - Mr Vickers (nasty temper, caned many boys. I might have had a career in technical drawing if this sadist hadn't put me off it)

Woodwork - Mr Hook (also had a short fuse and liked to swat boys across their heads if they made a mistake)

Geography - Mr Kirkman (good sense of humour, would have benefited from some kind of anger-management therapy)

Mr and Mrs May (she retired around 74 I think)

Mr North (headmaster)

Home Economics - Mrs Korklin (thankfully I was able to totally avoid her)

Caretaker - Mr Potter (lived in that nice little bungalow behind the TD classroom, could usually be seen carrying a bucket of sand to cleanup puke)

Drewlath

Yes, John Godbehere taught maths. I was there 72-79.

Frank Yates was bril. He told us all about the practical jokes they used to play in the army, wired us all up to a vandergraaf generator and fired an air rifle across the lab. No doubt the health and safety taliban these days would ban everything like that!

We had Mr Clarke, later Sue Kerr Dave Kirkman and Dave Jackson for Geography. The latter three were good to excellent, but we did have trouble concentrating on Geography when Miss Kerr was stood in front of you! :love:

In fact, didn't Miss Welch teach history? She got married in the time we were there but I can't remember her married name.

We also had Barbara Hall for German. She was strict but she taught it well and I was able to remember it years later when I got a German girlfriend!

We also had Gwyneth Hadley and Mr Barnard for English but I don't recall learning much useful from them. I learned far more about English grammar from our German lessons!

Cheers

N

Drewlath

In fact, didn't Miss Welch teach history? She got married in the time we were there but I can't remember her married name.

I learned far more about English grammar from our German lessons!

N

NigelT

Miss Welch was my 2nd year form teacher (2W). You're right she did get married. Didn't she become Mrs Bellamy?

I too learned more English grammar from taking French, infact I got better marks in French than English!

• 3 months later...

If anyone who reads this thread was at Tapton School, between 1973-78, we are holding an school reunion upstairs in the bankers draft Sheffield from 8pm this saturday 25th October 2008.

Be great to see anyone who remembers me or knew of me, as I am sure that there maybe someone there who knows you. We are getting quite a number together who are comng along now, it was going to be about 12 of us but now looking at 20-25 and maybe more.

So if your wanting to catch up from people you may not have seen for 30 years then be in the Bankers Draft upstairs from 8pm this Saturday.

Cheers

• 7 months later...
went to tapton school the first day it opened,the old on i mean and we came from the old springfield school near the city

I also went to Tapton the first day it opened (from Crookes Endowed)

hey aside from mr Pidd any teachers from the mid 70's still there? I DO remember Mr North the head now...and yes he was a VULTURE....liked to swoop down on you from a great height and was very fond of using the old corporal punishment slipper!!

Perhaps his years as a Japanese Prisoner of War might have affected him.

Archived