Sign in to follow this  

Advice on Harassment

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise - a friend of mine, 17 has recently been harassed by a group of about 5 or so teenagers (maybe 2 years younger than her) - there have so far been two incidents, both of which have upset her.

Firstly, whilst in Ecclesfield park, a girl came up to her and asked her for a fag - when she said no, she started shouting. It was also obvious she was drunk out of her head by her stumbling and actions. Then, another 2 girls and 2 boys came over and started doing much of the same. Eventually, after trying to walk away, they started trying to tear her hair out, and punched her in the eye. After them threatening to kill her if she ever came back, she ran off.

Now i told her it was probably just cos they were drunk and to try and ignore it, but avoid the park

anyway, tonight, whilst on the Bus in Ecclesfield, on her own, she saw the same teenagers at the bus stop who, seeing her started shouting how they were going to give her a black eye to match the first one, kill her etc and she'd better get off the bus. There was only her on the bus, and the bus driver kindly drove round the block [out of his own rest time] to change his numbers, and did another loop.

Is there anything that can be done? She's intending on talking to the police in person tommorow, but to be honest, I don't hold out much hope - this sort of behaviour seems only too common these days...

Thanks!

Alex

The best thing to do right away is to keep a detailed diary of everything that has happened. Make it as specific as possible and try to include any possible witnesses. Record it all now while it is fresh in your mind then and all your information will be accurate if in many months times it goes to court.

Talk to the police, their may well have been other complaints against the same people.

When i was at school their was a kid who used to get beaten up a lot by the same people, he went to the police regularly but nothing came of it then his mum sued one of the boys for breaking his nose, Police cautions didn’t seem to work but the bullies parents having to stump up a significant amount of cash each week did the job. This was a good few years ago as well before the changes to legal aid and the ‘compensation culture’ if you can identify the person responsible for the black eye going after their/ or their parents finances might be very effective. Maybe talk to Claims Direct or someone similiar?

I’m not sure if it’s suitable but you might be able to implement an ASBO against these people. Anti social behaviour seems to be every politicians major concern right now,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3611212.stm

you could take advantage of that by getting in touch with a councillor or MP. Apply more pressure on the police to take any action available.

Hope it gets sorted out.

My heart goes out to you!

I don't wish to sound negative but this kind of mob rule behaviour seems to be on the rise.

The police are trying to stop incedents like this and you should talk to them and give a statement.

Incidently you should have laid a charge of assault when the first incident took place.

One problem with this, is that they will then possibly arrest the ones involved which could result in revenge attacks.

The approach to this kind of behaviour is still soft and they will probably be given a slap on the wrist which doesn't realy solve the problem at hand.

Another view is that if these people are openly drinking in the street and creating a nuisance then call the police EVERYTIME you see this.....

With any luck the police may get them to stop doing what they are doing but don't hold your breath.

Guest rosie

My daughter is only 10, but in July at school before the start of the summer break, she was punched in the face and kicked by a boy the same age. She was covered in blood and it took 4 dtaff to carm her down

He was always in trouble in school he got sent home for a day and a half. This action was appauling.

We did not agree and brought the police in the situation.

They went up to school and the headmaster refused to talk to them.

If children at this age are allowed to hit other children then it`s not a surprise when they get older and in their teens they can still get away with threatening behaviour.

I am waiting for the school to re-open and then the battle commence with the education department and the school.

Contact the police, and keep that diary! If she can recognise them then there's a chance the police might be able to do something.

She should also make a personal statement so that if it ever gets to court this will be considered during sentencing.

If she knows the time of the bus then there's a chance the bus company could provide her with the name of the driver.

It would be helpful if she could find out the names of the people involved. Maybe someone knows them....

Bullying is horrible. Use the authorities, that's what we pay our taxes for.

Thanks for the advice :)

She has already contacted the bus company last night (via email), to ask them to pass on her thanks to the driver for helping her by moving away - so she's still got the ticket with the bus number and time on it, so thats something that could help.

Regarding names, I do know one of them - but i'm not completely sure on the surname, so i'm trying to find out.

ASBO's were another thing i looked at last night, but they seemed to be for people harassing businesses from the information i looked at?

And finally, we're going to the police station later, so i'll let you know how it gets on.

Thanks,

Alex

good luck.

If it’s not too late one final piece of advice. Go to a local police station rather then West Bar. From my experience West Bar will ignore ‘minor’ incidents like this while local stations will give it a lot more time and resources.

Originally posted by Disco_Cat

good luck.

If it’s not too late one final piece of advice. Go to a local police station rather then West Bar. From my experience West Bar will ignore ‘minor’ incidents like this while local stations will give it a lot more time and resources.

This is what I planned - one of the stupid things is that when the first incident happened, there was almost a line of site to the police station, it was about a 3 minute walk away.

edited to add: in both cases there were witnesses, although in one case it was someone familiar with her, not a total stranger

Thanks

Alex

Originally posted by Alex C.

Thanks for the advice :)

She has already contacted the bus company last night (via email), to ask them to pass on her thanks to the driver for helping her by moving away - so she's still got the ticket with the bus number and time on it, so thats something that could help.

Regarding names, I do know one of them - but i'm not completely sure on the surname, so i'm trying to find out.

ASBO's were another thing i looked at last night, but they seemed to be for people harassing businesses from the information i looked at?

And finally, we're going to the police station later, so i'll let you know how it gets on.

Thanks,

Alex

ABOS's are for all antisocial behavior, not just towards businesses :)

Originally posted by crystaline

ABOS's are for all antisocial behavior, not just towards businesses :)

This is true but to obtain an ASBO the person/s have to have more than 1 or 2 complaints lodged against them...

If this is the case and the bad behaviour is being carried out in that one particular area then there should be no problem .

Anyway I do hope that you get things sorted.....there is too much of this kind of barbaric behaviour on the streets.