Bonsai - ideas on how to get started

torin8

They are absolutely brilliant! Did you buy them or grow them from scratch?

Im planning on growing a little bonsai forest of about 10 trees, but as Im 46 I very much doubt Ill see them mature. Ill either be dead of old age or so senile that Ill try to make love to them.

The oak I mentioned needs the root ball trimming down, and I lifted it a few months ago to have a look at it and its solid. Im going to need a hacksaw to trim it down. Still I have to take the risk of killing it because the ball is so big now that it wont fit into a bonsai pot.

They are absolutely brilliant! Did you buy them or grow them from scratch?

Im planning on growing a little bonsai forest of about 10 trees, but as Im 46 I very much doubt Ill see them mature. Ill either be dead of old age or so senile that Ill try to make love to them.

The oak I mentioned needs the root ball trimming down, and I lifted it a few months ago to have a look at it and its solid. Im going to need a hacksaw to trim it down. Still I have to take the risk of killing it because the ball is so big now that it wont fit into a bonsai pot.

Hello jabba

'fraid i bought 'em,for a group (forest) planting you'll need a large-ish very shallow dish (usually oval too), group plantings usually consist of an odd number of trees to avoid symmetry, also, for perspective larger trees are planted at the front and in the centre, the smaller ones give it the perspective.

oak (quercus sp) can be prone to fungal infection but can be controlled with systemic fungicide.

when repotting your present oak, try removing the thick roots a portion at a time, take say a quarter of the rootage away next spring and repot into a larger plant pot, this will give it chance to grow feeder roots from the wound, do this each year and it should be ok in 3/4 years.

if they can be untangled without too much damage, they could become a feature as a spreading rootstock (nebari) is coveted in bonsai.

if you could untangle the thicker roots, you can strip some 2.5mm copper mains flex (twin & earth)they can be wired apart radially to make a nice spread.

john:)

Archived