Screen and TV Writing

Hello, anybody out there interested in screenwriting. I've done a couple of thing which were fairly well received, but not made!!! Quite interested in writing a sit com with a partner or generally just meeting and talking about our interest in writing for TV or Screen. Would also be interested in any workshops etc in the area.

I’m interested in screenwriting, that is, I have studied other peoples work (scripts for Red Dwarf, Frasier, Yes Minister etc) so have a basic idea of the mechanics involved, but I haven’t got around to writing an award winning mini series (yet)

An excellent book that covers the subject in some depth is “How to write a selling screen play” by Christopher Keane, one of the things that I found a little daunting was the number of times a screenplay is rewritten on the whims of movie executives, although with modern technology its fairly easy to edit scripts quickly.

What were the subjects that you wrote about? – can you post a sample on here? (If you don’t want to post in the open section please read HERE about acquiring a password for the writing section.)

Some of the best sit com comedy has come from writing partnerships like Galton & Simpson,

“Grant Naylor” etc. – it must be nice to bounce ideas off each other in a creative environment, I’d be up for a bit of chatting about the subject or co-writing a pilot episode or two. PM me if interested.

Done some feature length film scripts, one of which was optioned but not yet produced. I've also done some produced shorts, and done script doctoring on a couple of produced (and none produced!!) features.

Just about to send a sit-com pilot script to BBC3, and am working with another Sheffield writer on editing a feature script.

"The Screenwriter's Bible' by David Trottier is pretty good, and I still find Sid Field's stuff relevant, although the 'Three Act Structure' isn't as necessary these days as it once was many moons ago.

"Write and Sell the Hot Screenplay" by Elliot Grove is excellent, recent and Britsh. :)

And in terms of philosophy, look at 'Story' by Robert McKee and 'The Writer's Journey' by Vogler.

My most re-writes - about a dozen. :)

I wish you would post one of your stories on here, Joe. :)

I posted a couple last year - to be hoenst in recent months I've not done much.

Although now I'm working with another writer helping him edit his script and novel I'm feeling motivated again, so perhaps I should get my bum in gear. :)

Yes, Ive had to go right back to read "The Fulfilment of Marge Simpson" I forgot that you were a fan of that series. :)

I think I posted up 'The Fulfillment of Marge Simpson' and 'Repeat Performnce' - then somewhere along the way I became the CoAdmin of Sheffield Forum and that was that. :)

I think I posted up 'The Fulfillment of Marge Simpson' and 'Repeat Performnce' - then somewhere along the way I became the CoAdmin of Sheffield Forum and that was that. :)

Ah, go on Joe.Dig deep, and give us another.;)

hehehe...I'll get my thinking cap on - I have to say after working on this script with my friend this last week or two I'm rather more motivted to get creative again. :)