Becoming a Electrician, plumber, joiner at 23?

Hi my bf mate is currently looking into doing something like this, as he is 23.

He hasn't got any GCSE's though.

Would this stop him getting the training?

been there done that, plumbing was a dead end, left with £10,000 debt. think very carefull before you do this option.

im 28...did it at 26/27years old

p.s. anyone wanna buy some plumbing fixtures/fittings

plumbing is a good career but only the lucky 1`s survive it is a dog eat dog world .. and just because you are qualified dont think any one will give you any work ..

you have to sell urself every day of every week.... and if you do 1 job wrong it will cost you .... you have to price against the general diy guy who only works for the beer money .. endless quoting on an evening...

but if done correctly in can be a very satisfying career,

:) john

been there done that, plumbing was a dead end, left with £10,000 debt. think very carefull before you do this option.

im 28...did it at 26/27years old

p.s. anyone wanna buy some plumbing fixtures/fittings

I'm sorry to see that you have ended up in this situation. My friend started a plumming course at MET-UK and paid £5000.00. He bought a van and loads of tools as he was told he would get work as a self employed plumber easily. How wrong. Even placing ads in a newspaper which cost alot didn't bring work in. I think people want skilled tradesmen more and more now and are keyed into short course plumbers and rogue traders. My friend is in an awful lot of debt and back at his old job.

I had this same conversation with some gas fitters who were installing my heating recently. They said it was very competative out there.

I had this same conversation with some gas fitters who were installing my heating recently. They said it was very competative out there.

That was me and nick...

I'm afraid that there are many just like you MTheo and there will be many more to come :( Places like MET-UK, Reactfast, Fast-Track Leeds) are spewing plumbers out left,right, and centre. Just pay them £6-7k and in a couple of months they will give you a certificate. Idea that the UK is vastly short of plumbers :hihi: Maybe that was true 5yrs ago but not anymore, and thats without considering the input of construction workers from the new EU countries.

As John of Jl-heating says the reality is a whole lot different. The hours are long, the work is hard and requires much more skill than any of those places can teach in a short time. Out every night quoting.

You can make good money but that comes with experience,working long days and weekends, and being on call. I find it sad to hear many stories like MTheos - who is lining the pockets of training places, and ending up owing £10K and a van and tools stood on the drive.

lo astril .... we are like the grim reaper with all our woow`s lol.

I know John, but people need to hear the true realities of being a plumber/gas fitter/electrician/joiner etc.

I'm not saying to people don't do it, but just be careful. As you said it is a very rewarding career and you can easily earn £25-30k. I can see the same problems in the plumbing business happening in the electricians job market. Here we go again, newspapers stating sparks can earn £70K per year so now you get electrical training places springing up-charging people silly money.

My opinion is that the govt should give trademen a decent training budget to take these guys/girls on and train them and also pay them.

Don't get me started on HIP training :D

buggered up post..read next one haha.

I'm afraid that there are many just like you MTheo and there will be many more to come :( Places like MET-UK, Reactfast, Fast-Track Leeds) are spewing plumbers out left,right, and centre. Just pay them £6-7k and in a couple of months they will give you a certificate. Idea that the UK is vastly short of plumbers :hihi: Maybe that was true 5yrs ago but not anymore, and thats without considering the input of construction workers from the new EU countries.

just wanna clear up i did full time college course for city and guilds certifcate and passed.... not a get rich quick scheme or anything... and even doing things the 'proper' way got me nowhere... im honest, hard working and dont mind working cheap to get my experience and dues paid..but no-one would give me that chance.

MY cousin who is 26/27 years old (can't remember) did a course at Sheffield College for a year full time. He got qualified and now he sub contracts to a firm. They pay him £9 an hour which isn't bad as he is stil learning the practical side of it.

hi there, im not actually from sheffield, im from lincolnshire, but ive been interested by these threads!! im a 23 yr old female,iv got a degree but im really interested in doing plumbing!! i haven't got a job atm,i'd be really grateful on some good advice of what to do!! i haven't got much money but i'd get a loan or sthg if it came to it. heard of a place called new skills? is traditional college the way forward, or what about evening classes, home learning? thanks so much, i'd be rly grateful if any help could be emailed to me at [email protected] thankyoooooo!!