The all things tattoo megathread

To be fair the kid may be really talented, until he displays some work then I guess it's difficult to judge.

As for people loving a tattoo they have for the rest of their life, that's all well and good, although this doesn't mean that's it a good tattoo - i.e. technically well done, fits the area of body where it's positioned, has good contrast between the colours used, if copied from a picture how well the original is reproduced. You can walk down most high streets in Britain and see people with terrible tattoo's (namely tribal and names of children in horrific looking text down forearms) proudly on display which I'm sure they love - although they are not good tattoo's by any means.

I'm not a tattooist but I have been getting tattooed for around 16 years, I've got a fair few, I've had them done by about 10 different artists (some are terrible, so are great), had tattoo's done in different countries and have friends that are tattooists from around the globe. I'm lucky enough to have had tattoos done that have won awards and been pictured in several magazines. I've done a lot of reading on different tattoo methods, inks and history and feel confident that I am able to tell a decent tattoo from a not so decent tattoo. The sad thing is that any one with an eBay account can become a 'tattooist' these days - half of these morons have never had an apprenticeship, aren't health authority certified and give hard working, well trained tattooist a bad name. The 'general public' are led to believe that any one with a tattoo gun can do a good tattoo, but I guess each individual will have their own perception of what a good tattoo is, time and education can often change this perception although that is of no use for the customer that wants 'Chantelle' in Olde English down their forearm.

In my opinion (and it is only my opinion) if I HAD to have a tattoo done in Sheffield the ONLY 3 places I would even consider would be 1) Thou Art - mainly due to the awesome guest spots this place keeps having 2) Feline - their reputation speaks for themselves and 3) 5 Magics tattoo (although I'm not a huge lover of Old School stuff). That said the girl based in Crystal Peaks (sorry can't remember her name) shows some promise - saw her work at the Derby Tattoo convention.

If you want a truly awesome tattoo, that you want to be proud to display and love for the rest of your life, get yourself on the net, do some research and be prepared to travel.

I have just purchased 2 guns and stuff, will have to get up to date on this topic.

A number of posts have been removed for swearing, masked swearing, accusations, bickering and name calling, if this is repeated then any participants will be suspended. Moreover I will point out that this is not a thread for advertising your services so anybody who does that will also be suspended.

What do people generally think of Dragon tattoo?

Edited by The Wugga

why have a tattoo removed just keep it

I've just had a new tattoo done at Dragon tattoo on Mansfield Road. I love it and it is perfect. Its a treble clef and a bass clef with a rainbow running behind them. I would highly recommend them as I was made to feel very comfortable and they gave good care advice etc.

i have had numerous tattoos done by a couple of different artists, the first few by celtic art in chesterfield then eternal ink in sheffield and now angus ink in forfar (yes i know its 6 hours away but my fiancee is from there and we visit regularly!) i love all my tattoos, most of my recent ones have been done by the apprentice under supervision and i am very happy with them but felt more confident as i knew if anything went wrong there was experience on hand, but the amount of bad tattoos around is amazing, i have 1 piece of "flash" on my right arm and i saw the exact same tattoo the other day in bakewell and i have never seen such an absolute mess, its surprising what people will put up with, there is apparently a young lady doing "mobile" tattoos in your own home, i have recently seen her "work" the line work is ok but no thought whatsoever in placement and its in a very prominent place, nothing is central, just a little thought would have made it a nice piece!

hi im after a good tattoo artist to do sum writing on my arm anyone got any good recomendations for me?

Mystic Ink on prince of wales road - I have seen a lot of their work and its fantastic.....in fact its owned by a forum member & her partner...

I've just had a tattoo done by Rob 'Inksurgeon' Bates in Aston. I was impressed by Rob's obvious drive and interest in the subject, which influenced my decision to use him rather than go elsewhere. I'm over the moon with my tattoo :)

I had been in touch with one of the more 'high profile' and 'recommended' tattoo studios in Sheffield but found the 'lady' who answered my call to be rude and abrupt so she and her studio didn't get my business.

There is undoubtedly lots of competition for business and I know who I'll be returning to, someone who actually values the customer. Thanks Rob. :)