Drivers using mobiles to get 3pts & £60 fine.

Finally the government have seen sense and made the penalty for using hand held mobiles much stiffer.

With currently only an estimated 1.1% of all drivers flouting this law getting caught, it was obvious that the £30 fine simply wasn't harsh enough.

Whilst it still isn't going to put everyone off, I think the 3 penalty points is really going to make a fair few drivers think twice about taking that phone call whilst on the move.

I still think the penalty should actually be harsher with an outright ban, but at least it's heading in the right direction.

A year from now if that stats haven't improved significantly then I think the government will have no choice but to make the penalty a complete ban and also a fine in the region of thousands of pounds rather than tens.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6287005.stm

A better punishment would be to crush the offender's mobile phone to bits in a vice.

If they are smoking a cigarette, eating an apple or driving a 4x4 while gabbing away on the phone then nothing short of death is enough of a punishment.

Come the revolution...

If they are smoking a cigarette, eating an apple or driving a 4x4 while gabbing away on the phone then nothing short of death is enough of a punishment.

What have 4x4 drivers got to do with it specifically.

The statistics say that 1:5 drivers flaunt this law, thats more than the amount of 4x4s,(yes I drive one and have handsfree fitted).

Qusetion: When there are two people in a vehicle, why is it always the driver on the phone, can't the passenger do the talking.?

don't forget making a call isn't illegal. holding the phone whilst driving is though.

What have 4x4 drivers got to do with it specifically.

The statistics say that 1:5 drivers flaunt this law, thats more than the amount of 4x4s,(yes I drive one and have handsfree fitted).

Qusetion: When there are two people in a vehicle, why is it always the driver on the phone, can't the passenger do the talking.?

I was just playing to the crowd. ;)

In answer to willman, perhaps the floating anti-gravity phone is the logical step forward?

I was just playing to the crowd. ;)

In answer to willman, perhaps the floating anti-gravity phone is the logical step forward?

no need just get a kit fitted.

i can legally send text messages whilst driving 'cos i'm not holding te phone.

don't forget making a call isn't illegal. holding the phone whilst driving is though.
This I really don't understand, people use blue tooth thing but still have to dial then chat away not concentrating at all. IMO using any phone while driving should be banned. :thumbsup:

But surely at each point your fingers make contact with the buttons you are technically holding the phone? Then again, you could have a typing wand in your mouth - you'd need to be very accurate with it, mind.

Another solution would be to pull over to the side of the road and stop endangering the lives of fellow road users.

It's a conundrum, alright.

This I really don't understand, people use blue tooth thing but still have to dial then chat away not concentrating at all. IMO using any phone while driving should be banned. :thumbsup:

perhaps the government should think before introducing unenforceable laws.

i have voice activation,thumb controls on the steering wheel and all those other jiggly bits.

i'm not gonna debate the chatting point,totally irrelevant imho.:hihi:

But surely at each point your fingers make contact with the buttons you are technically holding the phone? Then again, you could have a typing wand in your mouth - you'd need to be very accurate with it, mind.

Another solution would be to pull over to the side of the road and stop endangering the lives of fellow road users.

It's a conundrum, alright.

no your technically "touching" the phone not holding it.

but then its not my rules so i just conform.i can actually use Parrot bluetooth in my sportscar and never take the phone out of my pocket or touch the phone at all.

the parrot looks like an mp3 player & it works by turning a knob - excatly like turning up the volume on the stereo.

the parrot looks like an mp3 player & it works by turning a knob - excatly like turning up the volume on the stereo.

And if you crash into something while doing that, you'd get done for driving without due care and attention, too. Both hands are for controlling the car, not fiddling with other devices. You want the volume turned up, get the passenger to do it, or pull over.

And if you crash into something while doing that, you'd get done for driving without due care and attention, too. Both hands are for controlling the car, not fiddling with other devices. You want the volume turned up, get the passenger to do it, or pull over.

yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

next you'll be telling me i have to put my seatbelt on before setting off.