Alternatives to Snakes Pass? Coming From Knutsford/Chester, Cheshire

You can go via Macclesfield then Buxton and Bakewell. It won't be any quicker but avoids more of the Friday night traffic.

The OP wanted to avoid "mountain type routes" though, think the Cat and Fiddle road might come into this category :)

You can go via Macclesfield then Buxton and Bakewell. It won't be any quicker but avoids more of the Friday night traffic.

this route is completely out it is far more exposed than woodhead and the snake pass apart from that you will be driving on what the police say is the most dangerous road in britain and I agree its the pits

There is a way south of snakes which cuts out the highest points, it was used as a diversion when they had roadworks on the A57.

Rough guide is that you follow the A6 through Stockport of the M60 following the signs to Chapel en le Frith/Buxton, get on the A623 after Chapel. It's pretty well sign posted back to Sheffield on that road but as a little short cut, you can cut accross on the B6049 which gets you on the Hathersage/Castleton road. Bit of a faff around if you ask me.

Snakes should be fine through, it's far less exposed than Woodseats.

There is a way south of snakes which cuts out the highest points, it was used as a diversion when they had roadworks on the A57.

Rough guide is that you follow the A6 through Stockport of the M60 following the signs to Chapel en le Frith/Buxton, get on the A623 after Chapel. It's pretty well sign posted back to Sheffield on that road but as a little short cut, you can cut accross on the B6049 which gets you on the Hathersage/Castleton road. Bit of a faff around if you ask me.

Snakes should be fine through, it's far less exposed than Woodseats.

what has woodseats got to do with this thread

this route is completely out it is far more exposed than woodhead and the snake pass apart from that you will be driving on what the police say is the most dangerous road in britain and I agree its the pits

Just read this - is that the road I'm on about? I never knew that. It is a bit rubbish.

Frequent trans-pennine drivers will tell you hundreds of different combinations to get accross. The one thing they all have in common is that you're stuffed if the weather is bad, and if it's that bad no route is exactly safe.

I just don't want to get blown off the side of snakes pass lol.

Although some bits should be calm in terms of wind because there are a lot of trees/rocks either side on some bits.

Would you say snakes pass is the safest route to take then? I get the feeling that is the general concensous?

what has woodseats got to do with this thread

Oh you know what I mean. Pedant.

To avoid Snake / Woodhead but without going miles out of your way, try this.

Glossop - Chapel en le Frith A624

Join A6 to to sparrowpit roundabout, then A623 towards Peak Forest

Keep on A623, it gets a bit exposed on Tideswell Moor, but not too bad.

Keep on A623 to Baslow

At second roundabout at Baslow, bear left on to A621...Follow signs for Sheffield. It brings you in at Totley / Dore.

This route is exposed in one or two places, but there is no avoiding that without going miles off route to avoid the pennines, but it is nowhere near as high as Snake / Woodhead.

Just drive carefully.

Personally I would go Snake Pass unless I was going to / from the East / Meadowhall side of Sheffield when I would probably take the motorways.

I just don't want to get blown off the side of snakes pass lol.

Although some bits should be calm in terms of wind because there are a lot of trees/rocks either side on some bits.

Would you say snakes pass is the safest route to take then? I get the feeling that is the general concensous?

yes the snake is best IMO

Frequent trans-pennine drivers will tell you hundreds of different combinations to get accross. The one thing they all have in common is that you're stuffed if the weather is bad, and if it's that bad no route is exactly safe.

It's a shame there aren't a couple of disused railway tunnels or something that they could run the Woodhead road through to avoid the tops.

Oh wait...