The Birley Hotel closing

Birley closing? I'd not heard, but I shouldn't think it's a great loss, had a reputation for bad beer for a long time.

The Birley always looks busy to me when I've passed. I think a lot of the big old 'boozers' of the past will close and turn into eating places once the smoking ban comes in on July 1. Seems a bit strange to me that the Birley would be become an eating house when there is so much competition nearby??

I heard a rumour before Christmas that the Hawk and Dove is going same way in June and the plot to be sold for housing along with the school playing fields?

Birley closing? I'd not heard, but I shouldn't think it's a great loss, had a reputation for bad beer for a long time.

Hi. Sultana, Think you may have got it wrong, it is only closing for 6weeks until they alter it into an eating house. What will happen after that is anyones guess, from what I have heard they will be taking meal orders until 9-00pm in the back room so people will be eating until maybe 10-00pm. I reckon that it will be finished as a proper pub i.e quiz nights, singalongs etc. it will be a big shame. Sherwood here we come, maybe the people who are moaning about Sue won't have anything to worry about because she tells me half the people who go in the Birley are barred at the Sherwood anyway.

Hi. Sultana, Think you may have got it wrong, it is only closing for 6weeks until they alter it into an eating house. What will happen after that is anyones guess, from what I have heard they will be taking meal orders until 9-00pm in the back room so people will be eating until maybe 10-00pm. I reckon that it will be finished as a proper pub i.e quiz nights, singalongs etc. it will be a big shame. Sherwood here we come, maybe the people who are moaning about Sue won't have anything to worry about because she tells me half the people who go in the Birley are barred at the Sherwood anyway.

Can't for the life of me imagine where the clients are coming from for an eating house around that area??? I don't think the Sherwood does all that well with food, its always stinks of cigarettes to me, wouldn't want to eat in there!!!, the Fairways is only busy because its practically giving the food away, The Ridgeway Arms always 2 for the price of one and the Frechville Hotel, well?????

John

Sherwood is virtually full most lunches and tea times. You can often struggle to find a table.

We were in Fairways on Sunday tea-time, when its £7.99 for a carvery and we got the last table. It was jam packed with people.

Ridgeway Arms rarely does special offers and despite this its always really busy (and its smoke free already).

We eat out every week at least once so I think i know whats happening in my local area. How often do you use the local pubs to eat?

Can't for the life of me imagine where the clients are coming from for an eating house around that area??? I don't think the Sherwood does all that well with food, its always stinks of cigarettes to me, wouldn't want to eat in there!!!, the Fairways is only busy because its practically giving the food away, The Ridgeway Arms always 2 for the price of one and the Frechville Hotel, well?????

I'm sure you are quite correct, proper pubs are either closing closing down because they are dumps and the decent ones as you say are being turned into eating houses, surely there is a call for some good old proper pubs. There is nothing wrong with the Birley now apart from the drugs and it wants a complete refurb. and stuff the meals.

John

Sherwood is virtually full most lunches and tea times. You can often struggle to find a table.

We were in Fairways on Sunday tea-time, when its £7.99 for a carvery and we got the last table. It was jam packed with people.

Ridgeway Arms rarely does special offers and despite this its always really busy (and its smoke free already).

We eat out every week at least once so I think i know whats happening in my local area. How often do you use the local pubs to eat?

Living in the Mosboro Townships I rarely eat out or indeed venture into the pubs around that area as they are all dumps. I eat out on a regular basis, but mostly in the Peak District or Lincolnshire. The Ridgeway run permanent promotions, 2 for 1, but its all the Brake Brothers processed crap they sell, along with the Fairways and Sherwood. Whatever these places need a chef for is beyond me?? The Gypsy Queen used to be OK, but even than has took a dive these days.

I'm sure you are quite correct, proper pubs are either closing closing down because they are dumps and the decent ones as you say are being turned into eating houses, surely there is a call for some good old proper pubs. There is nothing wrong with the Birley now apart from the drugs and it wants a complete refurb. and stuff the meals.

I can't name any proper pubs in the vicinity of the Birley, can you?? They all sell Tetley's\John Smiths/Boddingtons Smooth, yuk!! (I'd rather drink Coca Cola). The proper pubs start when you get down into Ford ... The White Swan, The Bridge and The Gate at Troway.

does anyone know what happened to terry and jackie who used to have the birly

Terry and Jackie left before christmas.

Not sure were they went, but have heard they retired.

I had a carvery at the Fairways a while since & it was top notch - especially for the money. I think that's all they do these days.