Is the fishing pond at Frecheville still there?

I remember when there used to be a close season for fishing and at least 2 days prior to the opening season all the local lads used to set up their tackle ready for the thrill of catching some of the decent tench and the odd ocasional eel. This all happened in the 1970's the likes of Freddie Hector, Glyn cawthorn and brother neil along with the Harris brothers all used to fish through the night and had many laughs over the seasons.

Was you one of these guys? remeber the laughs.........what ever happened to these fun times??????????????

I remember when there used to be a close season for fishing and at least 2 days prior to the opening season all the local lads used to set up their tackle ready for the thrill of catching some of the decent tench and the odd ocasional eel. This all happened in the 1970's the likes of Freddie Hector, Glyn cawthorn and brother neil along with the Harris brothers all used to fish through the night and had many laughs over the seasons.

Was you one of these guys? remeber the laughs.........what ever happened to these fun times??????????????

I wasn't born till 1975 and that must have been when the banks were mud and not concrete, dont know what its like now as I no longer live in Sheffield but I had some good memories fishing there, I used to have a morning and evening paper round at GT News on Birley moor rd then go fishing straight after, even wagging school some days, Oooops did I really say that. :o

• 2 weeks later...
congratulations to your son,its nice to see the fish are still thriving,i caught an eleven and a half pound pike from there in the eighties,there were some nice sized tench and carp as well ,i remember the two main fish,the pair of large carp,clarance and clarrisa, wonder if they are still around..;)

i went fishing there this week.i got snaped off by a tench i was useing 6pound line :mad:

Good grief, I remember night fishing at the pond, that was a few years ago cause I haven't lived in Frecheville since about 1975. Before that we used to make bottle bombs and threw them in the middle of the pond then wait a few minutes for them to blow up. Bloody crazy. I would belt any kids doing that these days.

I am glad to hear it is still there and fishing well.

Archived