2006 BBC Sports Personality

Teabag

I think getting the team and individual gold in one year in your sport (especially one as taxing and unpredictable as three-day eventing) is worth winning the award, particularly as Zara is one of the most hard-working and popular riders on the circuit.

Although Nicola Cooke should have won. The best female road cyclist in the world bar none, battled back from injuries, total dominance in almost every race.

But they don't even know her name on Question of Sport! Poor girl.

I didn't watch. But they're all from minority sports like boxing, equestrianism, tae kwan do or whatever .... equestrianism is just as likely to produce a winner as any of the others. If it's not an athlete or a footballer, it's often hard to find anyone who has universal public acclaim.

Oh it was definately a poor year as far as British sport is concerned. But she only won it cos she's Royal. It certainly gave her a much higher profile than the other world champions that were in the running. I think maybe they should have just scrapped the whole thing this year and brought it back once things improved!!!

I wouldn't class Boxing as a minority sport- its been goin gon for 100 years or so and is one of the richest sports in the world- so that's why I was surprised Zara Philips got it- I mean, who has heard of her on a global level? Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzage are (pretty sure) much more familiar names.:thumbsup:

What makes you so convinced that one minority sport is so much more popular than another minority sport?

This year the 2006 sport awards were boring- no one really stood out but at least TWO major names in UK Boxing did something that has major TV and revenue cover so in my book, they could have opted for either the Hit Man or Joe"my hands are f***** " Calzage

This year the 2006 sport awards were boring- no one really stood out but at least TWO major names in UK Boxing did something that has major TV and revenue cover so in my book, they could have opted for either the Hit Man or Joe"my hands are f***** " Calzage

Concur

Next year Prince William for his deeds in polo anyone:hihi:

FIX:thumbsup:

Is boxing still on mainstream TV though? I used to follow it a bit, but don't seem to have caught any fights on TV for ages. If it doesn't get the exposure then it's not going to get the votes for this kind of award. But maybe I just haven't been looking ...

ITV got big time boxing back (Thanks to Mr Warren) and if you have sky, its always on somewhere! HBO in merica still dominate and (apart from the crap heavyweights at the moment- BRING BACK ALI I say) there are some gr8 featherwieght/middlewight and lightweight fighters worth watching.

Joe Calzaghe is not only one of the most luckiest boxers in history (how on earth he has managed to stay at the top beggars belief) but he is one of the most arrogant too. I have yet to hear him say anything positive about any of the fighters he has fought, even his last opponent Sakio Bika, a fighter who he couldnt hurt with a baseball bat. Maybe Mikkel Kessler will show him how its really done.

I wouldn't class Boxing as a minority sport- its been goin gon for 100 years or so and is one of the richest sports in the world...

Whereas equestrianism has been going on for at least a thousand years, and is even richer. Your point?

...it also gets more TV coverage than boxing, before anyone brings that up again. It also has a damn sight more people attending events than boxing.

About the only reason I can see for people here dismissing it, is because it's not a working-class activity so it shouldn't count.:huh:

Archived