Devonshire Green area demolition - 1978??

Guest_225

Found it - George Wostenholm and Son Ltd., Washington Works, 97 Wellington Street

Still can't find a decent photo of it, only this old engraving. I remember it had Wostenholm IXL in big white letters on the building.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s09882

• 4 months later...

I found a photo of the factory in a book called "Images of England - Sheffield Industries" by Joan Unwin and Ken Hawley.

I scanned the whole page which you can now see here-

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/Alastairw/Trouve/?action=view&current=WostenholmeIXLfactory.jpg

I think the engraving of the whole factory shows the Washington Pub on the corner which survived the demolition, not sure about this though. The photograph of the factory before demolition is the same building behind the pub along Wellington Street.

The factory was a lovely old building that dominated the Devonshire Green area at the time and should never have been demolished. I took some photos of my own when I knew it was going to be knocked down, just can't find them at the moment. I used to walk up Fitzwilliam Street every day on my way to Uni and admired that building a lot. There was some protest at the time when it was due to be demolished and it was said it was the original factory where Bowie Knives were made.

Glad you like the photo :thumbsup:

What was there before they built the new flats, I think the Wostenholme factory was demolished 1976 so there's 30 years gap there.

I wonder if they have a photo of the old building in the Washington pub? i haven't been in there in ages, but it would be a typical pub thing to have on the wall. Looks like it was the works pub.