Sign in to follow this  

Sheffield Worldwide How Many Can We Find?

Didn't I see a photo in last week's Star of a railway station in Australia somewhere called Sheffield? It looked a bit like a vandalised bus stop so I guess it wasnt exactly a heaving metropolous....did I spell that right? surely not

Anyway, it is such a wonderful city, lots of places ought to be named after it, our city I mean, steel city here in Yorkshire.

Originally posted by "LouiseB"

Didn't I see a photo in last week's Star of a railway station in Australia somewhere called Sheffield? It looked a bit like a vandalised bus stop so I guess it wasnt exactly a heaving metropolous....did I spell that right? surely not

Anyway, it is such a wonderful city, lots of places ought to be named after it, our city I mean, steel city here in Yorkshire.

:lol: I thought that was our new station i must need glasses

1)Holiday Inn Sheffield

4900 Hatch Blvd

Sheffield, Alabama United States

2) Sheffield, in Caledonia County Vermont United States

3) Sheffield Massachusetts United States

The first English settler to cross the "hideous howling wilderness" into Berkshire County was Matthew Noble of Westfield who arrived in 1725. The following spring he returned to Westfield and brought his sixteen year old daughter, Hannah, to keep house for him. The township had been purchased from Chief Konkapot and other Stockbridge Indians in 1724. Purchase price was 460 Pounds, three barrels of cider and thirty quarts of rum. It covered an area 18 miles by 12 miles centered on the Housatonic River. Proprietor's records and a survey were taken by Captain John Ashley, Ebenezer Pomeroy and Thomas Ingersoll. This Committee was to advance the settlement of the town by selecting persons who would become permanent residents. Home lots were drawn in three divisions, and the town was incorporated in 1733. The town had some of the best land in the county and as a result had a population that, for the first half of the nineteenth century, was the largest in the county, save Pittsfield.

4)Sheffield Island Norwalk, Connecticut

http://www.lighthouse.cc/sheffield/history.html

In 1970 Norwalk police went to Sheffield Island to break up what they called a commune. 32 campers were arrested, mostly for marijuana possession. :lol:

Is this like a city-wide version of the Dave Gorman show?

LOl. Looks that way... except not as fun cos we all just sit at our computers searching Google instead of jetting off around the world :roll:

Originally posted by "Tony Ruscoe"

LOl. Looks that way... except not as fun cos we all just sit at our computers searching Google instead of jetting off around the world :roll:

Untrue. I've been to Sheffields Cornwall & Jamaica oh, and the big brother of them all here in little ol' South Yorks.

That's 3, anyone top that?