Plasma or LCD - Which TV would YOU choose?

DaBouncer

Plasma or LCD - Which TV would YOU choose?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Plasma or LCD - Which TV would YOU choose?

• Plasma TV's are the only way to go
    • LCD TV's everytime... they're the future... I've eaten it!
    • Neither... gimme a black and white portable anyday of the week.

We did a project about these recently, it was for a rental company that offered Lcd and wondered whether to offer Plasma aswell. Basically all the points above were mentioned with comparing, only other thing is where you are going to put it. LCDs are better in a smaller living room as Plasmas have a less effective image if viewed from any angle other than straight on. Plasmas are better than LCDs for long distance viewing, ie in a hall or large pub or something because of the way they output the image. The screen burn problem with Plasmas has been greatly improved with more recent models, although I still think the lifespan of Plasmas is not as good as LCDs (not an expert though.)

I would reccomend looking at reviews of different brands online as I know some same price/same spec models are poor with some brands but great with others. I think Phillips came out on top (LCD) when we were doing the research but i can't remember which model.

Interesting comment about angles, the website mentioned earlier says the opposite, plasmas are good for 160 degrees, lcds generally much less.

Agreed - I'm pretty sure the viewing angle of a Plasma is much greater than that of an LCD.

It all depends on what generation you're talking about.

So many facts that were true about both plasma and LCD are still being passed around about current generation hardware and either are vastly exaggerated or simply no longer true.

I agree, tried to watch world cup on LCD in Banner, sometimes it was like watching the Six Million Dollar man, got fed-up went to another pub from then on. The lag was horrendous.

Thats only because the LCD's in the Banner are pitifully poor TV's. If the brewery had shelled out for a decent brand, lag would not have been an issue at all.

oh heck .... have i made a bobo in ordering an LCD? ( I have sky)

then again .... 36" for £399 .. i couldnt resist .. offeres finished now tho

and ... its HD ready, to get High Definition, do i need a seperate de-scrambler type box fitted? and do i have to pay monthly for this service?

£400 is really cheap but you ll probably find that the main LCD screen panel is made by a more established manufacturer like LG. For that price, enjoy it :)

Interesting comment about angles, the website mentioned earlier says the opposite, plasmas are good for 160 degrees, lcds generally much less.

I may have got it the wrong way around as my memory is not great but I thought that was the case.

one possible reason why it might seem laggy...

Data that comes into the free view box isn't always complete/correct especially on certain TV channels where your reception is not good. On some makes of TV, like mine, they do not show corrupted images on the screen and therefore skips frames and they come across as being laggy/choppy.