Holiday Inn - Manchester Road (Broomhill)

I just went to make a reservation at this hotel and it closed in mid-April 2004!! Could anyone tell me what it is now?? The view from floors 5 and above was incredible...

Please tell me it has just changed ownership! Or will it become swanky flats?!?

Demolition??? Surely not- it's an architectural masterpiece!

That maybe over-stating it a bit but it is a fine structure which, along with the Arts Tower, defined the skyline of West Sheffield.

Does anyone have a link to a website with info about this? Who is the developer?? It must have cost a FORTUNE to buy that building.

I'd appreciate any info!

The interior was a bit ropey... But it is 50 years old!

I have to say I'm really sorry to hear it's going. I studied in sheffield and stayed in that hotel when I first visited Sheffield (prior to university), my parents stayed there when visiting me at uni, I stayed there for my graduation, my girlfriends graduation and since then 4-5 times a year for weekenders (the fondest memories)!

£50 on a Friday night with free gym, pool and, as I mentioned, stunning views...? No wonder Holiday Inn let it go!

I live next door to the old Holiday Inn (aside from the guy in the house who had to deck his garage out in 'original stone' reflecting the area, ironically) - in a different group of flats - I have heard nothing of the building's development, which has unnerved me a little - any demolition work would definitely affect us here... and I wonder if new flats would devalue mine. There's certainly been nothing passed around asking us for our views. If anyone has any extra info I'd definitely welcome it.

Obviously, a lot of things would be better than that huge building with 250 rooms staring out at my french doors!!

"Obviously, a lot of things would be better than that huge building with 250 rooms staring out at my french doors!!"

My thoughts exactly!

If they do build executive flats (or similar) then I'm sure the development will add value to your property;

i) Physically the environment will be more attractive (greener, quieter).

ii) Expensive new buildings raise average prices in the area which will diffuse out to neighbouring properties.

The 2-3yr development period (I'm guessing) will be unpleasant but their are building regs to limit the impact.

I find it strange that there has been so little publicity. What is there to hide? Do they want to sell these flats?!?

I therefore assume that the design for the site has not been finalised and the developer is some way off from applying for planning permisson.

I'm anticipating plans for an intensely developed site in order to cover the cost of acquisition...

I can see there is enormous potential there, the space is excellent. I wonder if it'll end up a bit west-one-esque with shops/restaurants etc underneath it, or whether it'll still be completely tucked away from the ajoining roads.

If they only build a few storeys then my south facing view is going to be dramatically improved!

So, unnerved, but kind of excited as to what they come up with.

Archived