Stackmonkey's Homebrew thread..

Following on from the home brew thread, and one or two other 'what can i make with this spare fruit?' threads.

I will shortly be acquiring quantities of a friend's spare eating apples in return for some wine already made.

Over the next few days/weeks/months I will share the recipe and processes of turning said apples into apple wine and will try to record all the details on here, including how it eventually tastes. I already have the necessary equipment and will start properly once I have the actual apples. ;)

This is going to be good. Do we get to see a few pics of you blasted out of your mind on the end product too? :D

This is going to be good.

I agree! Great idea stackmonkey - I'm really looking forward to hearing how you get on :)

Apples have been acquired - they appear to be Cox's, which is good because they shouldn't need lots of sugar and the wine should finish with a taste distinguishable from any other apple.

Processing will start at the week end.

OK, Part 1 is now done.

take 4lbs of fresh, washed apples.

roughly chop, discarding the cores and stalks

put into large pan, add about 3 litres of cold water and heat to boiling point.

remove from heat and pour everything into 2 gallon sterilised bucket.

add a small amount (less then 1/2 tsp) of powdered yeast, seal the lid on the bucket.

leave for 7-10 days to allow fermentation to start.

How's the apple wine coming along stackmonkey? I was just having a read through this thread again and noticed that it had been over a week - has the fermentation process kicked in? :)

How's the apple wine coming along stackmonkey? I was just having a read through this thread again and noticed that it had been over a week - has the fermentation process kicked in? :)

I'll be transferring it to a demijon this week - I was going to do it this weekend but got a bit 'distracted'.

cut out the middle man and go to

http://www.winesathome.net:thumbsup:

I already use a different winemaking forum, but you tend not to have any start-to-finish accounts, unless the whole process has been completed and the author knows it has been a success. ;)

This one is real-time, so

a) there may be considerable delays during fermenting and ageing,

b) it is somewhat experimental as I've not done apple wine before and am using a slightly different technique to what i've previously used.

c) it's warts and all, so you'll get to read the bad and good bits, and what i actually do, rather than a recipe for what you should do.

I'm really intrigued by the whole process.. I've never attempted any sort of home-brewing myself but it's interesting to be able to 'tag along' on here :D Where are you keeping the fermenting mixture now stackmonkey? Does it need to be kept in particular conditions? *generates plans for the cellar* ;)

The mixture has thus far been kept under a kitchen cupboard (cos it's out of the way).

In order to try and minimise sediment, I've strained the fruit through a colander into a pressure cooker and then filtered it through muslin cloth (of the sort used for cheap curtains) into a sterilised demijon.

I've then added 1 teaspoon of wine yeast and 2.5 lbs of white sugar until the liquid was at the base of the shoulder of the demijon. Given it a stir and then sealed with a rubber bung and airlock; which has cold water in with a small amount of steriliser to prevent contamination.

Ideally it would go under the stairs for a consistent temperature (helps with clearing the wine) but I've run out of space so it's gone on a shelf in my dining room. This isn't perfect, but is better than the varying temps in the kitchen for this stage.

It's already bubbling away as I write, next to some damson already on the go, and will remain there until I rack it to clear sediment in about a month.

It smells OK at the moment, definitely apple-y, but quite frankly looks like cloudy urine....

ooo Stackmonkey, I'm having flashbacks to my pre-teen years ! Mum used to make loads of home made wine and I remember we had demi-johns all over the house, gently bubbling away - with various degrees of cloudiness !