Rowlinson School 1976-81

hi all i went to rowlinson 74 - 79 i remember A Oxley (tony) tall thin and good looking i was in form f i remember ibbottson in his office with his bottle in the bottom drawer, and clear plastic ruler over the knuckles when you were talking in class my tutor was mr Bird he is teaching at Newfield school at present a few names i remember ann and lynn Deakin, shirley goode, mandy rowbottom, martin lindley, steve knight,richard nettleton alan greaves, michael stevenson, brock thompson, michelle tomlinson i think i could go on and mention the whole register. I remember miss duncan (games) wicked lady to me she hated me. i always made excuses as not to go in the showers after games, the one teacher i did really like was miss sue kenyon she died from the flu. i really missed her she was ace.

hi all i went to rowlinson 74 - 79 i remember A Oxley (tony) tall thin and good looking i was in form f i remember ibbottson in his office with his bottle in the bottom drawer, and clear plastic ruler over the knuckles when you were talking in class my tutor was mr Bird he is teaching at Newfield school at present a few names i remember ann and lynn Deakin, shirley goode, mandy rowbottom, martin lindley, steve knight,richard nettleton alan greaves, michael stevenson, brock thompson, michelle tomlinson i think i could go on and mention the whole register. I remember miss duncan (games) wicked lady to me she hated me. i always made excuses as not to go in the showers after games, the one teacher i did really like was miss sue kenyon she died from the flu. i really missed her she was ace.

Hi Anne

I can remember many fun times you, Brock, Alan, Martin, Lindsey, Steven and myself had hanging around after school. There is no way I would have let my kids do what we did back then, times sure have changed.

Miss Duncan was one of my fave teachers, but there again I was into sports. Chat soon on face book.

I'm one of the unfortunates who was in Seaton's form 'C' from 1976-81 - directly after you and wolfstalin, I guess! It was a miserable experience. He used to administer his punishments in his office whilst listening to The Rolling Stones, and the rest of us were at our desks outside listening. The girls all thought he was horribly creepy & we did our best not to attract his attention.

I was always amazed that he could be Head of Languages but only had A levels and a PGCE. It seems incomprehensible now. He had absolutely no teaching skills or rapport with the kids. How did he get away with it for so long?

I remember being in a Fabric craft lesson with the girls in the 1st or 2nd year. There was a screen up in the open plan room so that no-one could see us girls getting changed into the clothes we had been making, mostly blouses. In bounds Seaton, oblivious to our modesty and screams. The fabric-craft teacher just about exploded with anger at his arrogance. His reply, "Don't worry, I have a daughter myself." :rant:

In spite of this I had a mostly good education at Rolo. One thing I remember is that there was never any bullying between pupils. We were more of a camaraderie. Not like schools today and my own experience of my son's secondary school (in Oxon). My best teachers at Rolo were the language, English and History teachers - Miss Gilmore/Mrs Brown, Mr Howard, Mr Wood, Mr Tweedy, Mr Brown, Miss Parsons. I was sad to learn that Janice Hambling/Pickering/Stokes had died so early. She was a strict but fair teacher, knew her stuff really well, and had the most amazing set of lashes!

Hi there,

My name is Antonia Kelly, nee Stokes, and I'm Janice Hambling's daughter. I was just Googling my Mum's name and was surprised to see this, and just wanted to let you know how much it made me smile hearing her spoken of like this :) She absolutely loved teaching. She was 46 when she passed, it'll be ten years this March.

Just wanted to say how nice that was for me, I don't really remember our life in Sheffield or her as a teacher there.

was at rowlinson between 82 & 87 was in g form teachers name miss cocks any 1 rememer her used to have some right laughs there like to get in touch with any 1 from that year who remembers me mick fox ( foxy )

alrite foxy i remember you, you lved on batemoor next to the pub, i was your richards age, you might remember me - jon lindley

i am interested in finding my cousins they went to rowlingson 4 brothers patrick richard jamie and chris williams they lived at the new inn pub on backamoor drive their mum and dad are called pat and doug anyone know them please would love to get back in touch

thats gary sinclair , does the announcements at the lane and has the ash tree pub .he left in 74

no.i know sinclair,he was my brothers best mate,gary cosgrove was big mates with a kid called andrew skain(scadger).if its the same gary cosgrove that is.

Does anyone remember the radio that used to play over breaks and at dinnertimes. I remember sitting in class at break listening to "funky town" and eating a wagon wheel, as clear as if it happened yesterday. I also remember that the school made you wear a uniform but only for the first year, strange.

If I remember correctly the school also used to give motorcycle lessons and I may be imagining this but did it not also offer driving lessons (I think they used to use the gravelled area near the portacabin classrooms near the school field and tennis courts).

Does anyone remember the radio that used to play over breaks and at dinnertimes. I remember sitting in class at break listening to "funky town" and eating a wagon wheel, as clear as if it happened yesterday. I also remember that the school made you wear a uniform but only for the first year, strange.

If I remember correctly the school also used to give motorcycle lessons and I may be imagining this but did it not also offer driving lessons (I think they used to use the gravelled area near the portacabin classrooms near the school field and tennis courts).

Myself and Martin Kemp were the people who first started the lunch and breaktime radio station at rowlinson. I didn't take to it very long but Martin Kemp went on to dj at Fanny's nightclub owler bar and other nightclubs.

My brother had mr marshall, he used to take the pis* out of him something rotten, but mr marshall never did anything about it

whos your brother? he was my form tutor before i went to newfield i was to naughty allways in the orange area or on the bridge getting my daily report singed hehe

Chloe123, I went to School with your Dad & Uncle (Russ & Chris) & would love to get in touch, I presume that your Dad is Russell. Anyone else from 71 - 76 in form M? Some names that spring to mind are :- Paul Rogers, Ashley Kay, Chris Shaw, Phil Bloy. I would love to get in touch with anyone from that form, as I lost touch with everyone when I left Sheffield