Rowlinson School 1976-81

hi all i went to rowlinson 74 - 79 i remember A Oxley (tony) tall thin and good looking i was in form f i remember ibbottson in his office with his bottle in the bottom drawer, and clear plastic ruler over the knuckles when you were talking in class my tutor was mr Bird he is teaching at Newfield school at present a few names i remember ann and lynn Deakin, shirley goode, mandy rowbottom, martin lindley, steve knight,richard nettleton alan greaves, michael stevenson, brock thompson, michelle tomlinson i think i could go on and mention the whole register. I remember miss duncan (games) wicked lady to me she hated me. i always made excuses as not to go in the showers after games, the one teacher i did really like was miss sue kenyon she died from the flu. i really missed her she was ace.

Well i am still tall :hihi:

My parents went to Rowlinsons, names of Wilkinson and Giblin

Went thru infants, junior & Rolo with Dave Giblin. Had brother, Pete. Was Sue Mark Wilkinsons sis? Used to drink with his old man, Pete, in Cross Scythes. Used to go round to Dave's house to play, lived in one of those "upside down" houses. Ask him if he remembers Andy Gregory, Mick Town, Martin Bell, Andy Smith, Mark Saxby, James Moore, Dave Bullifant, Mick Bowers, Angela Herriman, Jacqueline Tankard at Mundella

My dad and uncle went to Rowlinson from 1971-1976. Chris and Russell Hartley? And my mum went to Gleadless Valley from 1971-1976 Janet Marshall she was called then. Anybody know any of them?

Have just found this post and was at Rowlison 71 to 76 and remember your dad and uncle well they were in "M" and I was in "L" we shared the art room as a form room in the later years, I also remember Mr Holmes (killer) and his wife, a Miss Frolich pottery whom he was also friendly with!!, Mr Stockdale, Mr Barber, Mr Seaton, Mr Dickinson i think (english), Mr

ountfield also our form teacher for a while, some others may come to mind as the grey matter starts to smoke, other students: Richard and Hayden Western, Iain Murdoch, Peter Vickers, Phil Bloy, Adrian Dowse, Phil? Skidmore, Peter Sergant, Tony? went into the merchant navy married a Collet from the same year, yvone Dudridge? Cheryl Heliwell, Barbara South, or was it Jane? it was not a good place to be at that time for me and was glad to leave, will try to rack my brains over the past and update as and when, if any one can fill in any blanks that would be great on here or via e-mail to me at [email protected] cheers.

Yes I remember Wombat, what's he doing these days.

An episode a few years ago comes to mind;

Do you remember that wrestler Giant Haystacks, he was at an event in Norfolk Park, the Sealed Knot people, anyways he ran a van of some sorts selling greasy spoon fare. After the event he came in the Royal Standard with a bunch of what I can only describe as midgets, lots and lots of um.

After an altercation with one of the regulars who happened to be very handy with a snooker cue, Haystacks was revived on the pavement outside and deciding discretion being the better part of valor proceeded to make his way to another pub he had heard of, The Maples.

Well, again to cut a long story short, after throwing his weight around in the Maples he had the great misfortune to meet up with Wombat, who kindly introduced him to another of Sheffield's famous sites, the Halamshire Hospital.

Wombat chinning Giant Haystacks - classic story!

Not sure about 1973 but I do remember seeing a band called Molotoy (sp?) perform in what must have been 77/78 - all clockwork oranged out and crazy singing "Dial, Dial, 999" in a psychotic way. I loved it and it made a change from the usual "film night" in the drama hall which was one of many excuses we had for trying to get inside a girls knickers (post swimming was another good time)

That group was called Molodoy, originally called Reactor, saw them back in 1978.

Edited by Grappler

i was there from 1975-80 and to be honest i dont think i really learnt owt that came in handy once i was in the outside world, maybe the only thing i learnt was how sarcastic and brutal some of the teachers where. they would never get away with it now, i probably learnt a lot of things hanging around the limit 5 nights a week and west street and going to watch wednesday home and away with the EBRA and various dodgy characters from around sheffield, i didnt really do a lot of drinking on woodseats when i started work, maybe once a week at most, there was too much going on at the limit or the top rank, it was only when i moved back to the area in 1994 that i tended to do a bit of drinking around woodseats and i found that a lot of people who i had gone to school with where very naive to the ways of the world, if it didnt happen in woodseats then it wasnt worth it sort of thinking, most of my mates i had after school came from all over sheffield plus rotherham (akka, pinkie etc) the stocksbridge owls (ghosty, jenks etc) winn gardens (black dougie, bolsa) and a lot of the older wednesday boys plus the sheffield mods! its 30 odd years ago so im struggling to remember class mates but if you are on here a big hello to andy morley, hughie,steve green, mr waters, kathy fullwood, anthea proctor, mandy marshall, err thats about it!

Have just found this post and was at Rowlison 71 to 76 and remember your dad and uncle well they were in "M" and I was in "L" we shared the art room as a form room in the later years, I also remember Mr Holmes (killer) and his wife, a Miss Frolich pottery whom he was also friendly with!!, Mr Stockdale, Mr Barber, Mr Seaton, Mr Dickinson i think (english), Mr

ountfield also our form teacher for a while, some others may come to mind as the grey matter starts to smoke, other students: Richard and Hayden Western, Iain Murdoch, Peter Vickers, Phil Bloy, Adrian Dowse, Phil? Skidmore, Peter Sergant, Tony? went into the merchant navy married a Collet from the same year, yvone Dudridge? Cheryl Heliwell, Barbara South, or was it Jane? it was not a good place to be at that time for me and was glad to leave, will try to rack my brains over the past and update as and when, if any one can fill in any blanks that would be great on here or via e-mail to me at [email protected] cheers.

Dusty Bobbins. I was in m and remeber the year we had the art rooms as form rooms. The Collette you mention was Collette Wildes also remember most of the other names you mention. I only really have contact with Russ maynard who was in H these days.

Other names in M were Paul Rogers, Chris Shaw, Ashley Kaye, Mark Gebhardt (think he was killed in accident not long after leaving school). I remember playing cards at luchtime with Killer for mobey of course he was a nutter for sure.

Amazing how the names come flooding back as well as good and bad times.

Chloe123, I went to School with your Dad & Uncle (Russ & Chris) & would love to get in touch, I presume that your Dad is Russell. Anyone else from 71 - 76 in form M? Some names that spring to mind are :- Paul Rogers, Ashley Kay, Chris Shaw, Phil Bloy. I would love to get in touch with anyone from that form, as I lost touch with everyone when I left Sheffield

Shields Blade. I was in M the same time, recognise all the names but have lost touch with everyone, last saw Chris Hartley couple of years ago he has a good business in Gleadless. Only contact I still have is Russ Maynard who i see regularly by my standards.

Hi Just been reading all these posts, remember most of the teachers. I left there in 78 my form teacher for the full time was Terry Gifford, still gives me the creept to think about him.

Oooo, just found this, i went to rowlinson 1979 to 1984 anyone else then?

I was there from 80-84. I ha a great time and found some great mates. Lost touch with some of them though. Do you remember Ian Bunting? I'm not Ian obviously, I'm Nick.

The name rings a bell, we did have a metalwork for the 3rd year but I can't remember his name, maybe it was him. Does anyone remember Mr Hurst, he had a tash and glasses and taught metalwork? He was my metalwork teacher in the first and fourth year, should have been fifth year too but he left and we had Mr Stockdale, what a complete waste of time that was, I was better at metalwork than he was. He demonstrated the forge to my class and after about 30 minutes of heating and removing the bar there wasn't any left, he kept leaving it for too long in the forge and melting the end off.

I remember Mr Hurst very well. If I remember correctly, he had a sheep dog called Flag, drove on ex army land rove and wanted to be reincarnated as a petrol engine! Mad as a box of frogs, but a decent bloke and a good teacher.