Indoor herb growing

Hi,

I live in a rented flat and can't attach a window box to the outside of the windows (I don't have any outside space either), and I really miss the taste of fresh herbs.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how best to grow herbs indoors? Whether to grow them from seed? Or buy plants and plant them in compost? Or which herbs will grow best in side? Any advice you can offer would be great!

Thanks x

There's a huge number of herbs that can be grown on the window sill. I've had basil, chives, tarragon, thyme and garlic on ours, and I'm pretty sure other forumers will suggest a whole load more! Our most successful plant/herb has been chilli - it's fruited all year round due to being in good morning sun. You can buy the living herbs from the supermarket, in which case I've found the best thing to do is to put them straight into a bigger pot. Not really tried anything other than chives from seed, but it's worth a shot.

Zweena, may I ask where you bought the Chilli plant from

It was a gift! But it was one of those pots you can buy, with the word "Chilli" writtein on it, complete with soild and seeds. Should have lasted a year, but onto it's 3rd!

Hi apricotjam, and welcome to the SF allotment and gardening group! :wave:

You can grow most herbs indoors - parsley, thyme, basil, dill, oregano, chives, coriander and sage will certainly be fine in pots inside. In fact, judging by the comments made on another thread, basil and coriander will probably do better indoors than outside! I've previously grown basil, parsley and coriander from seed and brought thyme and sage plants. I like zweena's idea of buying plants from the supermarket and repotting these - that would certainly be a very quick and easy way to get your herb garden started.

I've grown chilli plants using the seeds from inside a supermarket brought chilli too - in fact I can have about ten plants on the windowsill at the moment and they have produced loads of chilli fruits.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll definitely keep it in mind when I'm buying plants :)

Take care,

x

My favourite for the kitchen window ledge was cut and come lettuce :thumbsup:

I got fed up with throwing half bags of lettuce out, and these mixed seeds have been great! you can't get lettuce any fresher, and if you only want a couple of leaves for a sandwich.... :)