Help! Psychology at college

I'm thinking of continuing psychology at hallam uni after i have finished at a level.

Just wondering what people reckon to it at Uni?

Will be very great full for your comments :thumbsup: thanks

I'm about halfway through an Open Uni Hons degree in psychology and it is great, but difficult! Although, I'm not sure if I'd find it easier if I were studying it full time, rather than fitting it around working full time!

One thing I would suggest (as was suggested above) is to make sure it's BPS approved with GBR on completion as not all degrees are - for example, if you're after forensic psychology jobs like I will be, be wary of 'psychology with forensic studies' type degrees. If you don't have GBR on completion, I think you'd have to undertake some sort of conversion course. After your degree, you'd then need to do an Msc in your chosen discipline if you wish to become a registered psychologist (the Msc for each discipline has a set number of years for supervised practise).

Another thing I would add is to really try and have a think about which discipline you want to work in quite early on - eg clinical, forensic, educational, as it's really handy to try and get as much work experience in as possible before you graduate. I'm finding it really difficult to get anywhere near even a Psychological Assistant interview in the prisons dotted around here as it's mega competitive with not many jobs (and working full time, doing a bit of work experience/voluntary is difficult) - I suspect that graduates are applying for Asst job as there's a bit of a lack of posts for newly qualified forensic psychologists at the mo. - it seems to be mostly team leaders on the HMP site lately.

I studied it at A Level at Peaks. I thought it sounded good when I applied for it. I found the Dreams bit quite interesting. But to be honest in the end for me, it ended up just being about getting the grades for Uni to do a law degree.

I didnt really enjoy it.

I think, although it would be harder, to study it at degree level would be more interesting.

I have a degree in Psychology and lots of experience as an assistant in clinical and educational but am atually hoping to start an MSc in Occupational (work based research) next year. HAd my interview on Monday.

Agree you need to go to a uni offering GBR. If not you'll struggle to get onto any post-grad course, which is the only way to end up being a 'psychologist' as in chartered.

The degree is useful for non-psychology graduate training programmes or HR, marketing etc.

Some main psychology areas are Clinical, Educational and Occupational, or there's the option to do things like counselling/mentoring/teaching/research (more training needed).

To get into clinical (mental health, child mental health, disorders) you need years of experience as it is very competitive. You can get experience by being a support worker. i worked for free on a project and use any contacts to get you experience. You also need to do well in your first degree and they ask for a full breakdown of marks for you 2nd and third year so your modules need to be relevant.

Educational is mainly working with children with psychological/learning difficulties mainly through working with their parents and the schools they are in. You again need loads of experience- become a teacher/T.A., work ina special school/ anything with special needs.

Clinical and educational are 3 year doctoral courses which you get paid for doing.

Occupational is 1 year MSc but you need 2 years following that working to get chartered. It is based around looking how people work, comparing companies and strategies to work out how people and their workplaces function most effectively. Any work can be relevant really for this course as long as you can think analytically/reflectively about what you do. You have to fund this course yourself.

If you get really into research you could always go onto a PhD!

Happy to answer any questions if I can.