Any ex Firth Park School lads n lassies out there?

Item removed as unnecessary trivia by original poster.

Edited by dropout
Have realised, on reflection, that some people might NOT want their names and info posted on forum sites. Withdrawn, apols.

Some names I remember there from 1962 -1967.

H.J.S Wilson was the head.

also part of the Wilson Snuff family empire I believe (sounds like it means summat else these days but it was the brown tobacco powder you put up your nose , I did try a tin once). Amazingly it;'s still going - http://www.snuffstore.co.uk/wilson-snuff-c-75.html

He is yes...don't know when he was there.

When I was there one of the other sports teachers at Brushes was Betty Codona...she used to drive us up to Stocksbridge sports centre on a Weds afternoon in the minibus...for swimming, squash etc.

She became famous as the long - time coach of Sheffield Hatters.(netball)..who won every single trophy and league for about 10 consecutive years I think!!

Richard Hawley was there when I was in the early 80's. There used to be him , Paul Infanti, Lorraine Camm , Gill Graham and rob someone or other ! who all used to be in the plays . I was in Romeo and Juliet with them directed by Paul

Desgranges.

Good to see Richard doing so well for himself. I used to be mates with his sister Becky

I left in '70. I remember Mr Copley the geography teacher. He used to waggle his little finger for emphasis when he talked.

I remember him. He could not control a class at all so we used to wind him up to snapping point. In one lesson he really lost it. He started dishing out detentions to the entire class and escalating it every time we continued to ignore his threats. We called his bluff and carried on - it got to about 20 detentions and he backed down.

Just a thought, I left in 1974, anyone remember going to firth park at lunchtime and popping into malinkis cafe (Marti canes cafe). we also used to go to the bakers, buy an uncut loaf, dig out the bread from the middle, then have the loaf filled up with chips at the chippy. Ah, happy memories.

We used to do that, "cob and chips" we called it. We used to take it to the Paragon chippy on Sicey opposite Fine Fare. They used to fill em really full, way more than a normal portion for the same price, so we'd stop eating the bread from the middle first, just used to screw it into a ball and throw it at each other!

Anyone else remember the cottage at Grassington that you used to go to when you reached the sixth form. Brilliant place! It was quite delapidated but I used to love it ! We went there a couple of times ...happy days !:)

I remember John Jackson..mental but used to put on brilliant shows . I was in Fiddler on The Roof and a couple of other shows .

I remember the head teacher( Dr Martly?)making us all stand up when he strode down the aisle before assembly ,even though he was about 3 inches tall:cool: and the films they used to show in the hall at Christmas time .

Firth Park , on reflection, was a bit of a rubbish school ...but I did OK!:hihi:

John Sherwood was my form tutor for a year and I remember when he was on Superstars...We thought he was a big hero because of that!

Anyone else remember the cottage at Grassington that you used to go to when you reached the sixth form. Brilliant place! It was quite delapidated but I used to love it ! We went there a couple of times ...happy days !:)

I remember John Jackson..mental but used to put on brilliant shows . I was in Fiddler on The Roof and a couple of other shows .

I remember the head teacher( Dr Martly?)making us all stand up when he strode down the aisle before assembly ,even though he was about 3 inches tall:cool: and the films they used to show in the hall at Christmas time .

Firth Park , on reflection, was a bit of a rubbish school ...but I did OK!:hihi:

John Sherwood was my form tutor for a year and I remember when he was on Superstars...We thought he was a big hero because of that!

I remember it, great place, nearer to Hebden than Grassington I think. We live more up that way now and think we went past it a few years back on a walk we followed out of a book "Pub walks in the Yorkshire Dales" by Clive Price. It was the walk that started at The Clarendon in Hebden. I'd be interested to know if anyone can confirm its exact location.

Edited by sparkyfred

DR Hartley .....he was the head master & Mr Jennings deputy head - Maggie Mehan Mr Thwaites -Mr Pullman - Mr Renshaw -

Mr Mosforth -Mr Pilley only a few i can remember

Edited by mally350z

I remember it, great place, nearer to Hebden than Grassington I think. We live more up that way now and think we went past it a few years back on a walk we followed out of a book "Pub walks in the Yorkshire Dales" by Clive Price. It was the walk that started at The Clarendon in Hebden. I'd be interested to know if anyone can confirm its exact location.
There's an article here about the school cottage, and a photo.

There's an article here about the school cottage, and a photo.

Excellent, thanks Allen. Just googled the cottage house name and found it on some property sites (seems to be up for sale if you've got £284k to spare) including map location. Don't think it can be the same one we walked past.

Just Googled it myself....all I came up with was that it is now a "Holiday Let Cottage".

Not that I have a spare £284K....but would be interested to read the sales literature.

It's certainly been improved from the dump I spent a weekend in.