Gillotts in Heeley

:?:

What a delight to stumble across this forum whilst surfing the net!

Though I don’t live in Sheffield now, I was born and bred in Heeley.

I suppose it’s changed a great deal since the 50’s and 60’s.

Is the old Heeley Picture Palace still there? Ann’s Road School?

or the Waggon & Horses?

Does Carter Road still exist, with the two-up-two-down terraced houses,

where I used to live?

Does anyone remember or know of any Gillotts who lived in Heeley?

Researching my family history, it seems that the Gillotts have been established

in Heeley since the 17th century.

I’d be delighted with any snippets of information that anyone has!

• 1 month later...

Hi Angela,

I wondered if you were any relation to a Paul Gillot who came from Heeley.He would be about 55 or 56.I used to knock about with him at the old Locarno in the early 60's with my cousin Brian Ashton,who lived on Heeley bottom.I lived at Southview rd Nether Edge. Clive Dyson:)

I know someone called Joan Gillott. Not seen her for a while and last I heard is she moved away somewhere when she lost her young daughter. If you're out there get in touch!!

Chloé

I used to be best friends with a kid called David Gillott in the 80's when we were 8 or 9 years old. He lived with his mum and older brother on Park Hill Flats and then moved away suddenly. I heard they were living up in the Hillsborough area, but I can't be totally sure about that.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Angela

Lavinia and Harry Gillott lived at 16 Carter Road both before and after the war.Lavinia (Vina) was a Rustling before her marriage.They had the following children Vina (jnr) Mary,Jack,Ada,Les and lost two children one in infancy and one in the RAF in the early part of the war.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ANGELA.Ihave very distant relatives in the name of GILLOTT.My gt gt grandfathers elder daughter JANE married a CHARLES GILLOTT about 1855and had 4 sons and 4 daughters as follows,EMILY 1856,CLARA 1858,MARY ANN 1860,ELISABTH 1865, and sons,ALBERT1862,JOHN 1868,THOMAS 1871,MALIN 1873, all dates are app. JANE was born 1832 and was the elder daughter of CHARLES and SARAH WOOD,The next elder was my gt grandfather JAMES 1835, Hope that this info is some good to youbecause I do not have the GILLOTTS address in SHEFFIELD YOURS ETC !!!

I have Gillott surname in my family tree though I haven't started researching them yet.

My great grandmother was Emily Gillott who married Fred Aspinall 1901, they lived on Cambridge Road, Heeley. I believe (without researching further) that Emily Gillott was from a long line of Gillott people in Heeley.

Regards,

Duffem

• 2 months later...