Girls Football Teams U9

Posted (edited)

My daughter (age 8.) has decided she wants to play football so was wondering if anyone had any info on leagues/teams etc that are looking for players. We're based in Heeley so preferably local to there but happy to travel.

Thanks

Edited by longiesta

All the girls play in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Women's and Girls League (I know because I'm a ref in that league).
You can find details of the teams and leagues by age group on the FA Full Time website, a link to which is here : 
Sheffield & Hallamshire Women & Girls League (thefa.com)
(Alternatively go the the FA Full timesite, https://fulltime-league.thefa.com/, and in the search box type 'sheff' and click on the 'View All Search Results' option in the dropdown and you'll see the Womens and Girls league listed as one of the options - I mention this as it's easier to remember if you don't bookmark it).

Details of each club and their contacts can be found at the SHWGL club website as follows :
https://www.shwgl.co.uk/clubs.php

Just click on those clubs that seem nearest and most convenient to you and you'll get a list of all the teams and contacts by age group - clicking on the manager link will bring up their email and/or phone number of you want to get in touch with them. The age group you would play in next season is based on the child's age as at September 1st, so if they're 9 on 1st Sep 2024, then they would play in u10 next season. Bear in mind this season has nearly finished now, so you wouldn't be able to register for 23/24 (the deadline was Jan 31st). Most clubs will hold trials etc. over the summer during July and August. June is a closed month during which only very limited tournaments etc. are allowed with County FA permission, and clubs cannot play league games or register players until the new season reopens on July 1st, although some do hold informal kickabouts just to keep kids active.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HallamGirl said:

All the girls play in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Women's and Girls League (I know because I'm a ref in that league).
You can find details of the teams and leagues by age group on the FA Full Time website, a link to which is here : 
(Alternatively go the the FA Full timesite, https://fulltime-league.thefa.com/, and in the search box type 'sheff' and click on the 'View All Search Results' option in the dropdown and you'll see the Womens and Girls league listed as one of the options - I mention this as it's easier to remember if you don't bookmark it).

Details of each club and their contacts can be found at the SHWGL club website as follows :

Just click on those clubs that seem nearest and most convenient to you and you'll get a list of all the teams and contacts by age group - clicking on the manager link will bring up their email and/or phone number of you want to get in touch with them. The age group you would play in next season is based on the child's age as at September 1st, so if they're 9 on 1st Sep 2024, then they would play in u10 next season. Bear in mind this season has nearly finished now, so you wouldn't be able to register for 23/24 (the deadline was Jan 31st). Most clubs will hold trials etc. over the summer during July and August. June is a closed month during which only very limited tournaments etc. are allowed with County FA permission, and clubs cannot play league games or register players until the new season reopens on July 1st, although some do hold informal kickabouts just to keep kids active.

Hope that helps.

Thats brilliant. Thank you for taking the time to post all this. Much appreciated!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HallamGirl said:

Hope that helps.

Hmmm... :huh:

That's one of the most informative and helpful posts I've seen on here in ages...

... and I have absolutely no interest in girls under 9's football! :hihi:

But I just thought I'd reply anyway to add my thanks for you taking the trouble to post the sort of helpful advice that the forum SHOULD be all about! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I meant to add by the way... if you look at the leagues on full time, you'll notice that in the u9s league it merely records the teams in the league and how many games they've played. FA rules prohibit capturing or displaying the scores of youth football upto and including u11s.

This is to encourage playing the game for fun at those age levels, rather than trying to win at all costs.

From u12 upwards whilst the leagues will display W/D/L and points, no goal difference is recorded, so again to discourage teams from trying to beat their opposition by as many goals as they can. At the end of the season, if any league champion, promotion or relegation issues are to be decided, then it is via a play-off game(s) as required. This is also the case in the corresponding SDJFL boys leagues as well.